First Dance Clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 13th, 2005, 05:46 AM   #1
Wrangler

First Dance Clip

I've posted so many of my bridal preps and highlights I decided to post another segment of the program- the first dance. The first dance has always been a creative challenge for me because ,although it's an important event, seeing a couple slowly circle in a slow dance is only so much compelling.

Most of the time I break up the monotony with flashbacks to ceremony tidbits with filters to make it more "dreamy" and "flash-back'esc"...however, this time I decided to make use of the Love Story footage we shot wayyy before the wedding which we had subseqently decided on not finishing. So at least now the shoot I did with this couple at the part isn't entirely wasted.

http://home.comcast.net/~g.elliott3/...FirstDance.wmv
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 08:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Glen,

You're starting to irritate me. Everytime your put these clips up I smack my head thinking "darn, why didn't I get that shot".

Great idea on the dance. I am new to weddings (lots of corp. stuff) and am wrestling with how to approach these drier segments. In the corp world we used lots of flashy graphics. Don't think that will work here......

I assume you set up most of these shots with the clients. Are most folks receptive to your "staging" of the shots? Also, about how much of thier time does this take? And how did you shoot the two high angles?

Looks like you were putting that new video to work already, noticed some of the moves....

Thanks

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hey thanks Mike. When you refer to the "staged" shots do you mean the cutaways from the dance? Those are shots I aquired during a Love Story shoot that we ended up scraping. There were some good shots I didn't want to waste and decided to cut them into the first dance. All of the shots from the park shoot were staged to a degree. I usually give them general directions and keep my distance and let them interact as naturally as possible. (except for the close ups- which are, obviously, more blatant and staged).
Old April 13th, 2005, 10:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

are you using a jib, how did you get the high shots and how high is your tripod set-up for ceremony and reception. Looks like your experience has put you pretty high up at these events. I just bought an Anvil case to put my tripod on for and extra 2 foot boost.
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2005, 01:24 PM   #5
Wrangler

No jib- just a monopod placed under my arm and raised high above my head to "simulate" a jib.
Old April 13th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Nice work!
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:33 AM   #7
Major Player

Superlative work Glen.

Just a couple of hopefully not dumb questions. If the B&G dance lasts for several minutes, do you leave the whole thing in or edit down. Did this dance scene appear in the movie when it occurred or was it in the highlights? Also, I noticed you started out with actual reception audio then used the music track. Did you do that because of the love story flash backs?

One other thing, how do you get that soft focus look around the Love Story images. Camera filter or NLE? Also, what NLE filters do you typically use to get that dreamy look?

Reason for questions...I've been typically editing documentary style except for highlights. But , I've been thinking more about adding some artistic enhancement for scenes like you've shown.
Thanks for any reply.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey, go check out this thread

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40881

I asked the same question

Cheers

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #9
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Bob Harotunian : Superlative work Glen.

Just a couple of hopefully not dumb questions. If the B&G dance lasts for several minutes, do you leave the whole thing in or edit down.
This depends on the type of dancing they do. If they are just doing a slow dance, slowly circling, I'll edit it down. While the first dance is an important event in weddings I don't think it's compelling to view in real-time always. Unless of course the couple took dance lessons and did some sort of routine and used the entire dance floor. In thos instances I'd cut it real-time because it have enough action and movement to carry the piece.

Did this dance scene appear in the movie when it occurred or was it in the highlights?
In the normal program. The highlights are separate.

Also, I noticed you started out with actual reception audio then used the music track. Did you do that because of the love story flash backs?
I do that to eliminate ambient audio; dishes clanging, soft murmering, etc. I try to make the transition to the actual song as seamless as possible. I'll often leave the original audio in a track below turned off. That way if the groom does a dip and the audience applauds it's still there to ramp in to hear the applause, etc.

One other thing, how do you get that soft focus look around the Love Story images. Camera filter or NLE? Also, what NLE filters do you typically use to get that dreamy look?
As mike said he asked the same question. I will say one thing- despite the "soft look" of the footage I never do "soft focus".

Reason for questions...I've been typically editing documentary style except for highlights. But , I've been thinking more about adding some artistic enhancement for scenes like you've shown.
Thanks for any reply.
I do the same thing- usually the vignette style is reserved for the bridal prep, photosession, and highlights. Editing other sections in this manner can be quite time consuming and not always cost effective when you have a huge backlog looming to the side. Though.
Bob -->>>
Old April 15th, 2005, 07:40 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks guys, good information. I've never been quite sure how to handle those long boring first dances both with camera or in post. Actually, we'll sometimes encourage B&Gs to take dance lessons since it adds so much to their movie. But, now I think I have a game plan.

I like the idea of blending in some of the actual music for the first dance. I usually do that at the end during the last dance. Problem is getting the music form the B&G sometimes.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2005, 11:59 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi Glenn, I was wondering if shooting into the sun has had any effects on your cameras. I have been involved with video for about 16 years. I started in high school and my instructor told me never to do that. When I went to college and took radio, television & film I was told the same thing. Both times the reason given was that it would "burn" into the camera and would damage it permanantly. Do you use a special filter on your lens to prevent damage? I have never dared to shoot any angle that has the sun in the background. I would like to add that your videos look great. I have seen most of the clips you post on this site and have always been amazed by your creativity. I hope that one day I can create works of art that can almost match your own. Keep up the great work!
Rene Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #12
Major Player

Glen-

Excellent camera work and editing skills (that goes to you without saying)! However, I personally dont care for the reflections to the love story (at least for the "normal" non highlight video. Something about it does have enough similar content (to me). I agree that it is often very boring to watch a bride ang groom slowly circle a dance floor and I applaud your ideas to work out a cure--but I think this may be better suited to a highlight video.

Perhaps (this again would need to be staged) it might be possible to film the bride and groom before the wedding practicing their first dance. Then cut back and forth between the two "dances" as a time of reflection. I think it would look amazing (given your camera work) to have them dance in the wooded area that the love story was filmed in to help tie it together. But hey, I'm spitballing

I am interested in what your clients think of the finished product. After all, it is beautiful work!
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 05:16 AM   #13
Inner Circle

as usual, ur stuff is mindblowing!

really inspiring stuff there Glenn.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #14
Major Player

Argh! I didn't get to see that and the link is off... :(
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Any chance you could reactivate the link? I'd like to see it too
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques