What kind of microphones do you use for the wedding ceremony? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 21st, 2010, 04:37 PM   #46
Trustee

Thanks for the info Travis. I use a Zoom H2 quite a bit. It does a great job with clean audio but it's too much of a "wad" to use on someone. I've always like the small size of the Olympus DS-30. How do you compare the audio from the H2 versus the DS-30?
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:45 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Correct. The 'dictation' setting works the best. Very clean audio.
Yeah, I made the mistake once of recording the audio only of a training seminar and set the DS-30 on "Lecture" so that I would pick up the speaker at the lecture. Did a great job of that, in that, I could hear every sound in the room.

At the next wedding I forgot to switch the setting back to "Dictation" - the gain made the recording very hard to use - spent a lot of time EQing the a/c and other noises out of it to try to get it down to an acceptable level.

I always triple check the input setting switch now. Mistakes are sometimes the best teachers! :-))
Jim Schuchmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:08 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
I'm with Travis - I've had problems with wireless systems including interference and a reluctance from the church to allow me to use them. I now use Olympus WM-311 recorders (one of the groom and one on the lecturn) with audio-technica lav mics. I also put a zoom H2 set to front and rear record as near the action as possible as a fail-safe. this leaves my rode shotgun mic on the camera as yet another source.

Apart from compensaing for the audio drift during the edit it's been pretty much a trouble free setup for me
Thanks to you and the others for commenting about DVRs. I'm currently doing interviews using a respectabe Audio Technica wireless that has me very pleased, but today the subject just brushed her hair away from her face and her arm created interference for a second. Also, yesterday I was interviewing twins and with only one lav, I had to use a shotgun mic in a live room. Fortunately, the documentary form allows for less-than-perfect shooting conditions.

DVRs are an affordable alternative to expensive multi-channel wireless systems. What models have SD cards and best battery life?

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:12 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Once you try and add a mic to the bride you alter that experience for her. Obviously if the mic is visible then you've taken away from her appearance, and that is huge. But even if you cleverly hide the mic, many brides aren't going to like it because they're going to feel the mic and know that it's on them. A mic is not a feminine 'accessory'. It's not something that adds to her beauty. Mentally it IS going to affect how they feel about themselves.
Maybe if Cartier made diamond lavs... :-)

J.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:47 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Thanks for the info Travis. I use a Zoom H2 quite a bit. It does a great job with clean audio but it's too much of a "wad" to use on someone. I've always like the small size of the Olympus DS-30. How do you compare the audio from the H2 versus the DS-30?
I've never used the H2. We jumped into the Olympus DVR's many years ago and stuck with them. All I can say is that the audio quality is top notch. I'll be posting a full cinematic feature to the 'samples' section here in the next week or so and you'll be able to check out the audio and see what you think. d;-)
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:51 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques E. Bouchard View Post
Thanks to you and the others for commenting about DVRs. I'm currently doing interviews using a respectabe Audio Technica wireless that has me very pleased, but today the subject just brushed her hair away from her face and her arm created interference for a second. Also, yesterday I was interviewing twins and with only one lav, I had to use a shotgun mic in a live room. Fortunately, the documentary form allows for less-than-perfect shooting conditions.

DVRs are an affordable alternative to expensive multi-channel wireless systems. What models have SD cards and best battery life?

J.
Well, if the subject's arm brushed against the mic and caused static, that will happen whether or not you use a wireless system or a DVR. Just wanted to be clear on that.

We choose the Olympus DS30's for many reasons, including battery life. I think on the highest quality setting the DVR's can run for like 4 hours, which is plenty of time for us. We usually use them for 30-45 minutes for the ceremomy, and maybe an 1-2 hours for the reception. This year we're also going to be experimenting with some new uses. They record to an internal memory card.

Oh, and a diamond lav would be sweet. d;-)
Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Well, if the subject's arm brushed against the mic and caused static, that will happen whether or not you use a wireless system or a DVR. Just wanted to be clear on that.
Nope, no physical contact. Just air.

And I don'tthink that 4 hours of recording time would cut it for me. I see that the DS-40 and DS-50 models have 512 MB and 1 GB of flash memory respectively.

J.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 03:02 PM   #53
Inner Circle

So the air movement against the mic caused the static? That would still happen with any lav. If not, I don't see how a moving arm could cause interference with a wireless signal.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 03:13 PM   #54
Major Player

Quote:
So the air movement against the mic caused the static?
No. She moved her arm, the mic went *bzzt*. Interference. It's quite common, the human body is a huge antenna.

J.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 09:55 PM   #55
Trustee

Travis and other DVR users,

Where are you placing the Olympus DVR? I see it just has built in mics. I recently picked up a Zoom H4 and have used it with my Senn G2 plugged into it and also just using the built in mics (the built in mics are really very good).
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:05 PM   #56
Inner Circle

You need to get a wired lav mic like this to clip to the groom. Then have the groom put the voice recorder in his pocket.

Amazon.com: Olympus ME-15 Microphone: Electronics
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:19 PM   #57
Trustee

Aaaah! Cool. Didn't see that the Olympus had an external input.
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Oh I put together a demo showing the vows recorded using the Olympus voice recorder

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...vows-demo.html

Last edited by Taky Cheung; January 24th, 2010 at 07:57 PM.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #59
Regular Crew

I'd like to try olympus. Looking at DS-30 right now, but it seems like it will not work with Mac.
Alex Khachatryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #60
Inner Circle

It works fine with Macs. We edit exclusively with Macs and have no issues.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques