experience in wedding video coverage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 4th, 2005, 02:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

experience in wedding video coverage

Where do you get experience in taking videos for wedding before you make a paid video coverage? thanks
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

We did a couple of free ones for practice.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

wow, a couple of free ones, like really free? well i guess i need to do the first few weddings for free huh? any other comments or suggestions?
Old July 4th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've done quite a few weddings with my church, and I've been doing camera for years, so skipped free, and starting doing inexpensive weddings.

If you're good with camera and editing, and know you can deliver a quality product, then you can charge a low fee.
Ken Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 10:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ok thanks for the reply, but how low is low fee? well i think i can deliver a good quality video since i will be using a gl2 cam and i have edited a few videos/photos with an editing software. do you think that's sufficient justification charging a low fee? but then again i will still consider a very low fee if i will be doing for a friend or a person i know... :)
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:12 AM   #6
Major Player

Do 2 free, 2 for $500 or so, and then get up to a reasonable rate. You should have 2 cam coverage of ceremony, great audio (wireless, backup wireless, etc). and offer a high-quality product that you can charge upwards of $1500-$2500 for. Typical wedding takes 30-40 hours to edit at this level, including highlights, bridal prep, etc.
Old July 5th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply, but $ rate will not be considered since i am in philippines, need to get the rate locally, $1500-2500 when converted to peso is not affordable here. Anyway thanks for the reply, really needed where to start like how many hours of post production. :)
Old July 5th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Silva Jr.
Thanks for the reply, but $ rate will not be considered since i am in philippines, need to get the rate locally, $1500-2500 when converted to peso is not affordable here. Anyway thanks for the reply, really needed where to start like how many hours of post production. :)
I've seen a couple people on here from the philippines, maybe they can point you in the right direction.
Ken Hendrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #9
Regular Crew

ok thanks ken, well then i may have to find the filipino guys here... :)
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Silva Jr.
Leonard, how are you? Hours spent in post-production varies greatly from person to person. Some spend as little as 10-20 hours in post production and some, including myself, can take as man as 60-70 hours in post. It all depends on your workflow and and level of production value your looking to achieve. Conversely a vignette piece is going to take considerably more time than a standard multi-cam edit. Edits that require a great deal shot selection, rythmic timing, and color correction/effects are going to be the bulk of your hours spent in post. If your style doesn't entail any of these kinds of pieces and you offer more straight-forward coverage post production times will be drastically reduced.

Also keep in mind- the more weddings you have under your belt the more your workflow and personal editing style will develop. You'll see increases in speed and efficiency as time goes on.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:34 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Glenn, I am fine out here, it's really nice to be a member of this forum. 60-70 hours wow that's really a big number...i wonder what could be other improvements i can do with NLE like color correction and other stuff...well i know...i will search right...? hehehe

anyway thanks again glenn and to other guys that replied.
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:47 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hey Leonard-

I'm a filipino residing in Fremont, California. May I suggest that you check out Jason Magbanua's website and he also has his fees in there. He is a local (Philippines) doing wedding videos and one that comes close to Glenn (hmmmm....... maybe not quite)

Glenn might even want to check it out.
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:04 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi joven!

Yes i actually know his site but his fees are way to high, but i want to go to that direction, quality, equipment and customer satisfaction. :) was actually wondering if i can do a shoot with him, his works are actually nice. anyone here know him in person? thanks
Old July 7th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joven OHara
Hey Leonard-

I'm a filipino residing in Fremont, California. May I suggest that you check out Jason Magbanua's website and he also has his fees in there. He is a local (Philippines) doing wedding videos and one that comes close to Glenn (hmmmm....... maybe not quite)
Joven, be carefull when posting other people's web addresses on a busy forum like this. He could experience a costly spike in bandwidth.

Jason does good work. What is the currency equivalent in USD?
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #15
Major Player

Referencing External Web Sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
Joven, be carefull when posting other people's web addresses on a busy forum like this. He could experience a costly spike in bandwidth.
Glen,

I'm not sure I understand the caution here. Most people would prefer to attract as much attention to their web site as possible. That's why they have a public web site. It's extremely common for people to post links to other web pages and web sites on forums and web pages all over the Internet.

The home page of a web site rarely requires a lot of storage, and is often cached. And finally, today's web hosting starts with a minimum allocation of many GBs/month. So it's unlikely that this would create sufficient traffic to exceed the allocated monthly transfer of the web site.

Just my $.02

Best Regards,
Pete
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques