Another new clip- Photo Session montage - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 12th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #31
Inner Circle

"One last rant: (not directed at you glen) It seems to be a trend in current wedding videography to gravitate towards "romantic," or "emotional" We tend to over-use slowmo because we think it instantly adds a certain feel to the footage. Unfortunately, this over use leads to the footage feeling sappy, cheezy, and forced.(IMO) I'm not saying don't use slowmo or try to make something look romantic. I think the key is building the characters and story at the beginning. Get the viewer emotionally involved with the characters and the story, so that when you hit them with the slomo, it REALLY hits them and it sticks- without feeling forced. Wouldn't that shot of the groom crying mean so much more if you (the viewer) had learned at the beginning of the film that he NEVER crys at weddings?"

Interesting thoughts there..
I have to agree with the comments made here from everyone, but i think its starting to detract from the actual post itself..

Hey Glen, being a mod, you would be able to move these posts to a new thread and we can all discuss the differences of opinion on wedding videos as oppsed to having it impose on your thread.

Id like to contribute, but this particualr thread isnt the place for it.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:18 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Yeah sorry. I sorta hi-jacked the thread. Didn't mean to do that. The rant started as a mini-critique of glen's original video he posted.
Back on topic: I wouldn't mind hearing more about these "boom" shots that Glen coaxes out of a monopod. Glen, do you have a fulcrum that you are balancing the monopod on or are you just bracing it with your body?

peace
jesse
Jesse Rosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Rosten
Yeah sorry.
Back on topic: I wouldn't mind hearing more about these "boom" shots that Glen coaxes out of a monopod. Glen, do you have a fulcrum that you are balancing the monopod on or are you just bracing it with your body?

peace
jesse
Hi Jesse,

I'm not Glen, but I can show you one technique in getting the "boom" look. I use a monopod with 3 small retractable feet. I also have a tripod head on my monopod. That way I can angle the head downward. The last element is a wide angle lens. I use either a .7, or for a more dramatic effect a .3 fish eye.

Here's a sample from the training DVD, The Art of Moving Camera Techniques. I have put together a few shots of behind the scenes footage. Please ignore the audio track. I took scenes from different portions of the monopod chapter. Here's the link.
http://www.tulsaweddingvideos.com/vi...opodsample.wmv
Old July 13th, 2005, 09:55 AM   #34
Major Player

Monopod focus

Mark,

Thanks for sharing that sample with the monopod.

One question -- how did you handle focus, manual or auto?
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #35
Major Player

Hi Pete,

You're welcome. I use manual focus. When using moving camera techniques, manual focus is a must. As the camera moves the focus will change if you are in the auto mode.
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #36
Major Player

Mark,

I figured manual focus. Since most weddings have low ambient light, and thus requiring large aperture and shallow DOF, how do you obtain the wide DOF to make sure everything stays in focus as you move the camera?
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #37
Wrangler

I get lazy sometimes- it really depends on the shot. If I'm doing a reveal with an object close in the foreground you DO have to lock manual focus. However shots like the table crane I skimped by on auto. *shhh don't tell anyone*
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Wilie
Mark,

I figured manual focus. Since most weddings have low ambient light, and thus requiring large aperture and shallow DOF, how do you obtain the wide DOF to make sure everything stays in focus as you move the camera?
Hi Pete,

Good question. If you keep the zoom in the widest position, the focus isn't as critical, so you can get away with a shallow DoF as the camera moves.
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott
The monopod model I use is:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Along with the 3232 Swivel Tilt Head.

I add a q/r plate to the 3232 head to enable me to switch from handheld, to monopod, to tripod, to glidecam.

By the way, your work on this was great!

A question about your Mono Pod. I am considering one, do you leave the legs on or take them off. Several people I've spoken with don't care for them, thus when I've tried theirs out, they don't have them any suggestions?
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #40
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Eskew
By the way, your work on this was great!

A question about your Mono Pod. I am considering one, do you leave the legs on or take them off. Several people I've spoken with don't care for them, thus when I've tried theirs out, they don't have them any suggestions?
When using the monopod as...well...a monopod- I don't like using the legs extended. I have more mobility to pan the camera without them. I used them soley for stabilizing my overhead and faux crane shots.
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #41
Regular Crew

hello glen,

really enjoyed this clip...and it was very very nice. the video is so clear, how do make it look like so soft? video shot in 60i? what camera did you use? thanks glen, this really inspired me in doing this kind of quality of video here in philippines. thansk again, would really like to hear from you. thanks guru

and one more thing... really awesome monopod shots, what eauipment will i use to do that? monopod will be sufficient? i will use gl2
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken
Hi Jesse,

I'm not Glen, but I can show you one technique in getting the "boom" look. I use a monopod with 3 small retractable feet. I also have a tripod head on my monopod. That way I can angle the head downward. The last element is a wide angle lens. I use either a .7, or for a more dramatic effect a .3 fish eye.

Here's a sample from the training DVD, The Art of Moving Camera Techniques. I have put together a few shots of behind the scenes footage. Please ignore the audio track. I took scenes from different portions of the monopod chapter. Here's the link.
http://www.tulsaweddingvideos.com/vi...opodsample.wmv
hello Mark, I was enlightned by the monopod sample video you have shared, thanks for that, are you using 3231 monopod of bogen? what tripod head are you using, and any q/r plate for that matter. i've read that glen is also using the same monopod that you are using. thanks, would be considering to buy monopod this month.
another came to my mind, what light did you use..i've seen it is handheld, very portable. :)
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:17 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Quote:
The monopod model I use is:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

Along with the 3232 Swivel Tilt Head.

I add a q/r plate to the 3232 head to enable me to switch from handheld, to monopod, to tripod, to glidecam.
hello glen, i am considering to buy a monopod same as the one you have that you have used in this clip, is bogen 3231 monopod and 3232 swivel/tilt head, what quick realese plate did you use?

one more thing, i've seen this 3229 with quick release ($29.95) is this better than 3232 if i will attach to 3231 monopod? thanks again

Last edited by Leonardo Silva Jr.; July 21st, 2005 at 01:06 AM.
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:54 AM   #44
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Silva Jr.
hello glen, i am considering to buy a monopod same as the one you have that you have used in this clip, is bogen 3231 monopod and 3232 swivel/tilt head, what quick realese plate did you use?

one more thing, i've seen this 3229 with quick release ($29.95) is this better than 3232 if i will attach to 3231 monopod? thanks again
The reason I didn't go for the 3229 is because I feared having a quick release on top of a quick release. In my paranoid mind it made the chances of loosing the connection to the monopod double.

I forget the model # of the QR plate I got but it's a Bogen and it workes with 501 and 503 head plates.
Old July 21st, 2005, 06:27 PM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
The reason I didn't go for the 3229 is because I feared having a quick release on top of a quick release. In my paranoid mind it made the chances of loosing the connection to the monopod double.

I forget the model # of the QR plate I got but it's a Bogen and it workes with 501 and 503 head plates.
if i buy 3231 and 3229 with q/r will it still be possible without having worries?
the q/r from bogen i searched from bhpoto are 3157N 3157AN 3157ANR
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...bhs=t&shs=3157

i don't know what q/r is for 3231 and 3232 combination. does it have something to do with screw? 3/8"-16 and 1/4-20? thanks again
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques