First clip for review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 13th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

First clip for review

Alright, here it is, my first clip for review. Really hesitant about this but it is the only way I can get better. I know some of the camera work is shakey, so I know I need to work on that. Also, did not plan on getting the steadicam type shot but thought I would try it freehand.

Any comments will be appreciated. Thanks to Ram Purad for the music idea.

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...T15CITURWZ76YO
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Wrangler

Derek,

Some good shots there. I felt some of your camera moves were a little fast for the pace of the music. That's easily fixable in post by adjusting duration of some of the clips. Also, take the volume of the music down a bit, especially in the beginnging. To me, it came on a little strong for the imagery that you had with it.

Overall, a good job but just needs some minor tweaks.

That's my .02 worth.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Trustee

I agree with the music being too loud, it's overpowering.

I understand what your attempting here, and I believe that you should try to use a tripod with a fluid head for such gentle and sweeping motions, and they should be gentle. Rolling the camera over, and doing so quickly in such a drunken fashion seems unatural. Plan your shots, as if to give the viewer a sense of destination, while going slow enough for them to take-in the grandure of the scene, not helpless yawing to and fro. (Times when it's ok to not use a tripod is following a path by foot, or following a person whom is also walking. Your undulations will match the scene).

Try to think of your camera as another persons head with handles. Think of things like when people first enter the room. They usually pause and slowly take in the scene, then move to something interesting and pause again. If you don't understand what I'm saying, then become a spectator and observe people as they enter a flower filled room for the first time, or approach an interesting picture or statue. Especially when they enter a grand hall, (the pace quickly slows, and the eyes go up to take in the grandure, etc.).

Pete
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I hate to be critical, but I think your intro is a bit boring. This is a wedding, so I'd be much more interested in seeing PEOPLE, not objects. To my mind, a wedding video should be about emotion and everything else should be secondary. I'm not saying to leave the wonderful decorations, etc. out, just make them PART of the emotion by including the human participants in the shots.

I'd rather be looking at the bride's joyful or tearful face than looking at a vase full of flowers. At least combine them in some way.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the comments

Thanks for the critique. I will try to incorporate your ideas.

I was very limited at this wedding. This was very informal and professional pics were not even taken. That is why there are no people or "joyful" bride in the opening because there was actually very little time taken to get ready. The bride did not even want that. She just simply wanted the wedding. I thought this was at the very least a decent intro. Did not want it to seem like uncle Fred and his camcorder.

Thanks again
Old July 20th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I assume that you DO have shots of the bride. I'm not talking about BEFORE the wedding shots, but shot of the bride walking down the aisle, etc.

I would think that it might be more interesting to give us very brief shots of her interspersed with the shots you have. A montage of what's to come.

Just my two cents.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:08 PM   #7
Tourist

Derek,
Regardless of the previous postings, I think the video is great. I like how you were "thinking outside the box" and not making this like every other video out there. As you mentioned, there is some camera work to improve on, but overall, not too bad. I think the level of the music was fine ( not to disrespect any one else's opinion) and I think the way this was put together really builds a sense of excitement.

Try different kinds of shots, especially with the tripod (as mentioned earlier) and if you want to do the moving shots, PRACTICE them. It will make you better.
Victor Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques