Any trouble synching iRiver with wedding video? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 19th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I will also go for iriver with darren's modified mono mic. anyone have done importing the mp3 sampled to 48khz?
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #17
Major Player

Daniel, I use Sound Forge.Load the file in set levels and do any adjustments then convert to 48k 16bit stereo.
Glen guess I've been lucky as I have recorded 1 hour shoots and not had it drift yet.Thats slating the head and tail .Not tried more than 1 hour though.
Ian , no have not let go of wireless.Still use wireless in certain situations.eg. when the mic will be passed around amongst various vocals.Many other situations would call for the wireless but many the iRiver is my choice.
Jeremy, thing would be to decide how much you will need to record to the iRiver before you can upload to laptop or your suite.Then choose the one that fits.Based on highest quality settings and stereo mode 128mb = 54min
256mb=108min 512mb=216min 1gb=432min
if you use mono everthing is x2
Michael, actually I originally tested the iriver and found the solution to the mono problem.It isnt that it detects a stereo plug ,it uses the wrong channel for mono input.I made an adapter to switch channels and it works fine.The advantage is that it extends the recording time available and since in most cases ,you don't actually record stereo (merely 2 channels of the same thing)
mono is perfectly fine.
Leonardo, see the 1st line of this post
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #18
Regular Crew

iriver and sensitivity

I like the idea of the iriver. But it has only a line-in input. How sensitiv is this one?
How do you connect your mic or what kind of mic. do you use?
What do you advise?
Jan Roovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:28 AM   #19
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Roovers
I like the idea of the iriver. But it has only a line-in input. How sensitiv is this one?
How do you connect your mic or what kind of mic. do you use?
What do you advise?
The input is switchable in the menu between line and mic sensitivity. As previous posts have suggested, use a Giant Squid lavalier at around 40-45 recording level for most situations you won't go wrong.
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedley D Wright
The input is switchable in the menu between line and mic sensitivity. As previous posts have suggested, use a Giant Squid lavalier at around 40-45 recording level for most situations you won't go wrong.
This sounds very interesting. I understand that i can use a professional mic as long it does not need phantom power of course. Am i right?

How about the Creative MP3 player/recorder line. Is the line-input also switchable in the same way? The advantage of the Creatives is their plug-and-play capacity and the fact that they can be used as a memory stick also.
Jan Roovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:26 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Slessor
The title says it all. For you videographers who are using the iRiver recorders have you abandoned wireless lavs?

It certainly appears that cost-wise it's considerably cheaper than using good-quality lavs and besides, if a lav goes down, who's going to jump up in front of the guests and put another one on the groom in the middle of the ceremony? It appears iRivers are a suitable substitute. Would that be accurate?

Thanks,

ian
but if the iRiver fails for any reason, you won't know until after the event
Alex Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2005, 03:08 PM   #22
Major Player

True, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Gee
but if the iRiver fails for any reason, you won't know until after the event
True, but if that's the only benefit of wireless - that you know it's failed - there really is no difference. Whether you have an iRiver or a wireless lav on the groom it's not like you could go up and change it in the middle of the service. However, the iRivers appear to be considerably cheaper than a wireless lav so perhaps the purchase of an inexpensive wireless and a backup iRiver wrapped in a nice, little homemade package would be an option for those with the funds.

Thanks for all of the input folks.

sincerely,

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:05 AM   #23
Regular Crew

to Ian> "iRiver wrapped in a nice, little homemade package would be an option for those with the funds." what do you mean by little homemade package?
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 05:47 AM   #24
Major Player

Homemade, eh?

Hey Leonardo & everyone else,

Perhaps I mis-spoke.

When I said an iRiver & wireless lav in a "nice, little homemade package" I meant using the iRiver as a "backup" for the wireless lav if, indeed, the lav went down in the middle of the service.

I imagined a small, leatherette pouch lovingly handstitched by my mother that would hold both the iRiver and lav transmitter and would fit comfortably at the small of the groom's back or possibly an inside pocket of a tux jacket.

Anyway, lots of answers and always helpful.

sincerely,

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques