New Bridal Prep at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 23rd, 2005, 10:25 AM   #1
Wrangler

New Bridal Prep

http://home.comcast.net/~g.elliott3///CockingPrep.wmv
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM   #2
Major Player

That was Cool

Hey Glen,

That was cool man. I liked the wipes with the footage. Its something I've thought about trying to do sometime to keep everything flowing together. I also thought the birds were a nice touch! Your Clips Get Better Everytime!

Matt Trubac
TruVision Studios
Phone: 517 282-2915
http://www.TruVisionStudios.com
Matt@TruVisionStudios.com
Matt Trubac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes!

Very impressive!

Mike
Mike Teutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Wrangler

Thanks guys.

One note about the birds- they were added in post (both of them...sea gulls and standard). I usually try to work with another soundbed in addition to the music track but to make a long story short my VO's from the couple wouldn't have worked in this piece. So I tried to flesh it out a bit with some sound effects for ambience.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 09:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

very fluid mate :)

as usual, a piece which sets new standards to the genre.

i I recall you mentioned once that you spent considerable amount of time on your projects and this (as well as your other work) shows

with regard to the actual piece itself, i liked the naturalness of the selected footage. This felt a lot fresher.

I also noticed you experienced the stuttery slowmotion which Vegas is infamous for.
As you use a PD170, your obviously shooting in 60i, then converting to 24p in post. With slowmotion and Vegas, its best to render the master to its native format then transcode to progressive

It took me a while to fix the slow mo problem of vegas but heres the solution.
This works particularly well with delivery to progressive.
As i shoot progressive, sometimes i need to match footage and this is the best slow mo solution i have come up with for interlaced source to progressive delivery.

1) right click your slow mo clip and go to properties,
2) highlight force resample and reduce interlace flicker.
3) make sure that the clip itself is still in interlaced mode.
4) Turn on supersampling if you feel that its still not smooth.
5) If its reveresed footage, make sure you reset your field order, as reversing footage also reveres the field order.

Render this out and replace the original.
(the next bit you prolly know but some people dont so ill say it anyway.

once u finish you movie and you have your full presentation complete, render out your edit in the native format again to create one long movie in dv avi 60i

reimport this into a new track on ur timeline. This track should be on the topmost level. Go to File, properties and switch it from its native interlaced to progressive 24p
In the project, go to your preview panel and select the effect button and run Smart Deinterlacer. This is going to affect every output.
with this filter, Turn on frame and field differencing, compare colour channel (instead of luma), turn on use cubic for interpolation, turn on motion map denoising, and turn the latency down to 5 in both boxes. Leave the advanced processing blank.
From here, render out to mpg2 progressive.
the way this works is that before the deinterlacing is done within Vegas, its already been deinterlaced within the plugin. So vegas will see it as native Progressive and not process it, only transcode.
This is much cleaner so by the time the vegas engine gets to it, all the processing is already done through the refinements of the plugin.
These refinements should be available in Vegas on their own, but for some reason, Sony (and every other NLE which deinterlaces) feel that these tweaks arent necessary.

Sorry to go on a tangent there, but your work is too good to let a technical limitation mar the super smoother motin you have within the whole piece.

I really do like your stuff, and when i watch it, i sometimes see something that makes me ask myself "why didt i think of that"
When i get like that, i know im watching something worthwhile :)

cheers mate
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:20 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Nice Glen,

Two questions. Where was this? I liked the harbour shots but boy did it look familiar.

When you cut your wipes, are you using a keyframed garbage matte or what?

Cheers

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:33 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson
very fluid mate :)

as usual, a piece which sets new standards to the genre.

i I recall you mentioned once that you spent considerable amount of time on your projects and this (as well as your other work) shows

with regard to the actual piece itself, i liked the naturalness of the selected footage. This felt a lot fresher.

I also noticed you experienced the stuttery slowmotion which Vegas is infamous for.
As you use a PD170, your obviously shooting in 60i, then converting to 24p in post. With slowmotion and Vegas, its best to render the master to its native format then transcode to progressive
Peter- I don't render out to 24p. I shoot 60i and render out to standard 60i. I haven't seen any stuttery slowmotion- maybe it's a problem with the codec/machine your viewing it on? The only shot that may look a bit odd is one close up of the bride's face. It might look a bit motion blurred or stuttery somewhat, because it's been slowed down considerably past 25% speed.

Could you describe the location (minute:second) where your seeing stutters?
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #8
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cook
Nice Glen,

Two questions. Where was this? I liked the harbour shots but boy did it look familiar.

When you cut your wipes, are you using a keyframed garbage matte or what?

Cheers

Mike
The bride prepared in Margate City, NJ. The church was in Vineland, NJ.

The wipes were Vegas's "cross" transition with tweaked angle and feather.

Thanks.
Old June 24th, 2005, 12:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Glen-

I really liked this peice and I think it is some of your best work. You made very good use of camera movement and transitions to make the video "flow" with the music. Camera work is excellent as always. I'm curious as to how much time (roughly of course) creating this cut took. Thanks for posting this and giving us all new ideas to work with!

Keep up the good work!
Patrick
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Wish my clients weren't in such a rush!

Glen,

Your bridal prep segment was gorgeous. How lucky you are to have brides willing to let you be involved in their preparations. Out of the 19 or so weddings I've shot so far, only two have opted for any extensive pre-ceremony coverage. Many of my brides arrive fully dressed, so there are no "zipping up the gown" scenes for me to shoot; I'm lucky to catch a litle touch-up makeup or jewelry tweaking. For example, I shot a small wedding two weeks ago where the wedding party arrived fully dressed 15 minutes before the ceremony. Only pre-wedding coverage they wanted -- other than the requisite establishing shots and cutaways -- were quick last-minute interviews to record their thoughts and feelings 5 minutes before the ceremony. Emotions were definitely running high, at least. After the ceremony, they snapped their still photos outside. Maybe it's a regional thing, or my clients are so budget conscious they don't feel my hanging around two hours before their wedding is worthwhile. Good for you!

What I will do to drum up more preparation coverage is offer to include the time in my next wedding for free, then include it in my demo. When people can see what they're missing, they'll start purchasing it either as an add-on or a longer block of time.

Thanks for sharing. Again, nice job. I like your moving camera techniques.

(BTW, is the 16:9 real or letterboxed?)

T.J.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hey Glen,
I was of the understanding that you had been converting your 60i footage? Sorry mate.

As for the slow mo, im running WM9 (heard about some issues with WM10)
the monitors im using are 12ms mitsubishi flat panels at 1152x864.
The jittery bit i was refering to was right at the end when the bride turns her head to the left (from memory) Its not that noticable, but after having afew slowmotion issues myself, i thought id mention that fix.
But like i said, its a gorgeous piece, and im sure the bride would love it..

cheers
P
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #12
Trustee

Man, you have nailed it right on.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Just as I start to feel good about my stuff again you post something new :) Your stuff is awesome I hope to get even remotely in your ballpark someday as a videographer.
Ralph Longo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #14
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Pike
Glen-

I really liked this peice and I think it is some of your best work. You made very good use of camera movement and transitions to make the video "flow" with the music. Camera work is excellent as always. I'm curious as to how much time (roughly of course) creating this cut took. Thanks for posting this and giving us all new ideas to work with!

Keep up the good work!
Patrick

Starting from picking shots to the final cut- this piece took about 7 hours.
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Borek
Glen,

Your bridal prep segment was gorgeous. How lucky you are to have brides willing to let you be involved in their preparations. Out of the 19 or so weddings I've shot so far, only two have opted for any extensive pre-ceremony coverage. Many of my brides arrive fully dressed, so there are no "zipping up the gown" scenes for me to shoot; I'm lucky to catch a litle touch-up makeup or jewelry tweaking. For example, I shot a small wedding two weeks ago where the wedding party arrived fully dressed 15 minutes before the ceremony. Only pre-wedding coverage they wanted -- other than the requisite establishing shots and cutaways -- were quick last-minute interviews to record their thoughts and feelings 5 minutes before the ceremony. Emotions were definitely running high, at least. After the ceremony, they snapped their still photos outside. Maybe it's a regional thing, or my clients are so budget conscious they don't feel my hanging around two hours before their wedding is worthwhile. Good for you!

What I will do to drum up more preparation coverage is offer to include the time in my next wedding for free, then include it in my demo. When people can see what they're missing, they'll start purchasing it either as an add-on or a longer block of time.

Thanks for sharing. Again, nice job. I like your moving camera techniques.

(BTW, is the 16:9 real or letterboxed?)

T.J.
I don't know how much it's a regional thing- it's more specific to the bride I suppose. Some brides don't want a bridal prep at all and others want everything captured. I'd have to say the majority of brides purchase the coverage to cover a bridal prep.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques