Is it a losing battle? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 20th, 2010, 05:23 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Simons View Post
If Alfred Hitchcock and Steven Speilberg trust someone to edit their films, I can trust someone to edit my wedding videos..
You are comparing apples & oranges, A wedding video is a documentary of a live event even if dressed up cinematically. A feature film will have been storyboarded & shot exactly as per the director's instructions so that the editor will not need to make much in the way of creative decisions. In addition a director will often time be sitting alongside the editor while the work is done should any creative decisions need to be made.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #32
Major Player

[QUOTE=Michael Simons; Alfred Hitchcock and Steven Speilberg trust someone to edit their films, I can trust someone to edit my wedding videos..[/QUOTE]

Alfred Hitchcock, Steven Speilberg - "Michael Simons" I'll look for your name at the next Academy Awards.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kren Barnes View Post
Are you serious Buba? that's a lot of weddings and editing !...Hope you don't mind me asking but do you have a team of editors or do u just use templates? and how much does your packages cost?
Regards,
Kren Barnes
Vertical Video Works | www.verticalvideoworks.com
No, I don't have a team of editors:),
and I would never use templates, but I do have a guy who does rough assembly of the video, and after that it takes me about a week to do the final cut, ( because I have a full time job)
my prices start at $2400
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
You are comparing apples & oranges, A wedding video is a documentary of a live event even if dressed up cinematically. A feature film will have been storyboarded & shot exactly as per the director's instructions so that the editor will not need to make much in the way of creative decisions. In addition a director will often time be sitting alongside the editor while the work is done should any creative decisions need to be made.
My point is that you don't have to edit your own videos.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi George

I'd love to know Don's secret too!! I shoot in documentary style with almost no "frills" so my editing is pretty quick.. If I shoot a wedding on a Saturday, it's usually ready around mid-week ..if I have 2 on the weekend then I only just make it before the weekend.!!! If I had to produce cinematic masterpieces that most guys here claim take them an absolute minimum of 40 hours to edit (often closer to 80) then I could barely do two a month since a "wedding film" seems to involve a good 2 weeks in post working full time!!

With a "straight down the line" budget wedding video without anything out of the ordinary I have to allocate at least 10 hours to the edit and then there is still the fiddly bits like printing covers, making menus to deal with!! It's normally shoot on Sat, copy to drives and review on Sunday, edit on Monday/Tuesday and then package on Wednesday and deliver. I don't work a regular job either so I'm often amazed how some can hold down a 9 - 5 job and do weddings too!!!

Chris
I have 97 weddings so far this year and still booking. I have a few freelancers that work for me. I personally shoot about 60 weddings and it is my full time job. I have one editor. The bride gets her video in about 2-3 months. I do not advertise. All word of mouth.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
No, I don't have a team of editors:),
and I would never use templates, but I do have a guy who does rough assembly of the video, and after that it takes me about a week to do the final cut, ( because I have a full time job)
my prices start at $2400
Now you really have my attention :) ..do u use a straight forward docu edit? website or are they all referrals? How many years you've been doing this? I cannot imagine doing that many weddings with a full time job....

Thanks Buba!

Kren
www.verticalvideoworks.ca
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #37
Major Player

I've only got eight weddings this season, and it's next to impossible to keep up, considering i've also got a full time job....
And yes, my videos are all long form and definately unique...

Buba....
You'll definitely have to give me the ingredients to your secret recipe....

The only people i know in the T.O. area who mass produce weddings is Babylon...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #38
Major Player

Hollywood perception of wedding videos

I don't want to start a new thread, but somehow I feel this is relevant to this one. I was watching " Up in the Air" last night, perfect cinematography up until the part of George Clooney's sister's wedding. Suddenly the cinematographer wanted that wedding video look. Shaky footage, pans, etc. I guess it will take a while to change that perception.
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #39
Trustee

So true, Noel. I mentioned this last year when I saw the film:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-...ys-up-air.html

Very annoying.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques