audio issues help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:05 AM   #1
Major Player

audio issues help

shot an event this weekend, kind of a big one. I got burned by audio interference on the groom's
mic. I can hear them, but there's constant static on it. Is there anyway I can clean it up?
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:03 AM   #2
Major Player

re

I had the same problem, where does the noise come from, one second its fine then just goes cazy
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Major Player

Are you guys using UHF microphones? I believe the static would be the microphone picking up other frequencies. I can't offer any solution, maybe sound forge can remove the noise. Try posting this in the audio guys section. Maybe they can offer a solution and an answer.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 09:49 AM   #4
Trustee

Scott, you'll need to be more specific I fear before anyone can offer a clear solution.

Here are some thoughts but as Noel suggested, the audio boys will be a much better bet.

Was it frequency -specific ie did you have other mics on other frequencies and were they affected?
Did you have fresh batteries?
Were any portable phones switched on?
Was the cable anywhere near mains or other circuitry?
Was the antenna clear of the wearer's body, touching a body reduces the efficiency of the transmitter and makes it much more susceptible to interference.
Presumably they're diversity?

Unfortunately radio microphones have to be understood; it's not just a matter of buying them buying them off the shelf and using them.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

it might be interference from another system like the officiants even though most of them, at least in my experience use a VHF system but some use UHF but again in my experience they run in the 500s.
If it's crossover I'm afraid there might not be much you can do. Once it's there it's there unlike a constant hum like air conditioning or a an overhead fan.
Sorry I don't have any good news.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:31 PM   #6
Major Player

I am using C Band Sennheisers, it would be my best guess there was crossover. I would be glad
to send someone a sample file to listen to it.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Scott, go ahead and shoot me a sample. I'll listen to it and see if there's anything I can do.
Use the email in my profile.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

.. and if it becomes too difficult is it possible to kinda ADR the groom (or couple?) Go to them and although they've probably never done it and won't ever again, mildly coach them through their lines and rerecord ém.

Match the sound as close as possible, use headphones to play their stuff. I've done very similar on real people TV spots as long as there's no tight lip sync, most real folks can't hack that. You'll need some room tone from the church.
Cheers.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Major Player

hell, i wish it was that easy, he lives in Singapore.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:11 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Ah hah! well you said 'kind of a big one' so it's over to you Don .. or maybe record it online, could well be easier.

Cheers.
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Scott,
I got the sample and dropped it into Vegas, Audicty and another audio program. I tired various things to clean it up including a declicker, EQ, NR and there was no joy. It really sounds like there was another system crossing yours. I'm sorry I can't be of more help for you.
The one thing I did try that kinda sorta worked was going to the RIGHT channel only which appears to be the on board mic and while it was thin and the levels low, it was clear of interference so you might try using that channel only, boosting the levels and cleaning the floor noise. It won't be perfect but it did seem to work sort of. Again not 100% but at least the clicky hissy nasty interference is not there.
Sorry I can't help more.
Old September 25th, 2010, 12:35 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hi Scott,

I know this won't help your current situation, but possibly for future reference...

I've worked with Sennheiser wireless mics quite a bit and have noticed quite a bit of interference.

I recently switched to using Sony UWP wireless mics, they perform much more consistently. I personally think it's due to the fact that these are true diversity systems while the Sennheiser's are not.

OK...that's my 2 cents. I hope you're able to find a solution to your current audio issue.

Chad
Chad Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Howells View Post

Did you have fresh batteries?

Using non-new batteries can cause interference or other unwanted effects from radio microphones?

I would have thought a battery is either supplying power for the device to work or it isn't. Perhaps failing batteries on their last legs can go 'in and out' of life... but can a part-used battery actually cause any quality issues (leaving the risk factor of 'running out mid-vows' aside for a moment).
Rob Harlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Trustee

Rob, I've had batteries near the end of their life give severe distortion (what the OP might have meant) and intermittent transmission immediately before they fail altogether. The drain is sufficiently low for the effect to be quite prolonged.

You other point about mid-vows is well-made; and the reason why we invested in Lithium Polymer batteries for our VHF radio mics. We get 6 hours reliably.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #15
Trustee

Batteries are an analog thing, not just on and off, but a slope down to off... the broadcast strength will fall off as the battery's charge wanes. I got bit on my last wedding by this causing loud intermittent static that I had to cut around (PITA)... luckily I miked both the brid and groom and they were close enough to one another to share audio (separate R/L channels panned middle and cut/faded to work around the problem).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques