Multiple Camera Operators? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 13th, 2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Multiple Camera Operators?

I have been filming weddings for 6 years and have only used another operator for a few weddings. I use 3 cameras. 1 is static, for a wide shot of the venue and for safety. 2 are for closer up shots, although I normally position them so that I can get to them without disrupting things. I have never had a complaint about being obtrusive. From reading these boards, it appears that the majority film weddings with two or more camera operators during the ceremony, but I was not sure. How do you film the ceremony?
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Michael

Two cams and just me!!! At the ceremony I have one for just the happy couple and the officiant and that also does both radio mics. My 2nd cam is on-shoulder for guest cutaways and wide shots.

I look at it this way. If I foul up it's my fault and I need to deal with the client. If my assistant fouls up it's STILL my fault as I'm the main shooter!!! Bear in mind that you can usually get away with just one camera at the reception for everything but the speeches so I still prefer the single op approach unless it's your well trained wife/girl friend.

Seriously, are you going to end up with a better product??? It's certainly going to cost your more to pay an assistant!! From a business point of view I prefer just me!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

2-3 cams. The main cam on tripod/handheld with 2 radio mic. Cam 2 is static semiwide mainly for capturing good sterio audio. Cam 3 is static wide, either at the back or placed by the altar pointing towards the audience. In the editing I use almost all the footage from the manned camera, only when changing positions and framing that I use cam 2/3. I also get shots of guests and use it two og three times for cutaway insted of using the same frame from cam 2/3. Be careful not to use peoples gestures that easy is to identify if you use it again.
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Trustee

Ceremony is up to 4 cams with two operators (well trained son!) and assistant (well trained wife!).

Reception is generally two cameras with three for the speeches (one static wide, two for close ups of the speaker and/or cut away).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques