Marriage commissioner refuses to be videotaped - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Marriage commissioner refuses to be videotaped

1. Is the commissioner a public employee?

2. Is the premises where the ceremony to be held public property?

3. If yes to both, then you should talk to the CEO of the Vital Statistics Agency to see what the policy for videography of ones wedding is. If it's "up to the commissioner" then setup a shot where you can matte him out. If everything is "free to shoot" then there you go.

If you can't get the shot you want then pause the ceremony, ask the commissioner to move back, then get your shot. I'm assuming the B&G will want the shot. If all else fails, then have the B&G re-enact the important shots after the ceremony (giving away, rings, kiss, facing the crowd, etc.) GL
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I must admit we have one celebrant here who stands right off to one side and does his official stuff very much off camera...I guess it would work with him off camera too..just keep one camera with the tight shot of the Bride and Groom and then use your 2nd camera for cutaways to keep the ceremony interesting.

I think as long as you get the couple you pretty much have the wedding covered!! That is, of course, if the commissioner is prepared to stay out of shot all the time!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #18
Equal Opportunity Offender

Can't be as bad as it was at the government Registry Office (births, marriages and deaths .... unofficially known as "hatch, match and dispatch") in Brisbane. The registrant performed the wedding ceremony with her back to the audience and blocking most of the view of the couple. And it wasn't the prettiest of back sides.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #19
Major Player

Get a couple of GoPro cameras and mount them to capture the bride and groom.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Sure it's their right to refuse to be videotaped or photographed, but get a different job! It's expected that there will be photos and video taken during a wedding ceremony. The officiant is employed by the couple to marry them and if they want to be photographed or videotaped while they are taking their vows, then in my opinion it is part of the officiant's job to be photographed and videotaped. It's like the cake baker saying, sure I'll make you a cake for your wedding and you can eat it, but I won't allow photographs of it! All right, it's not quite the same thing, but you get my point. What I don't understand is why the couple would even consider using this guy. Get's me all fired up!
Chris Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Here in the UK, there was a rule about not shooting the marriage license being signed, and when I was in San Francisco, in the Court House the Judge who did weddings had a big no photos or video sign above the desk. Maybe some people do not believe official ceremonies that are essentially a legal process should be conducted like a social ceremony - some UK vicars have similar views I understand, with all sorts of rules to stop the photographers and video people from taking over. Weddings have become big events now, and so many officiants don't wish to be used in this way. Maybe the way forward is a Judge Judy style set with plenty of cameras hidden around - and then the officiant could charge a big fat fee, and the local authority put up the charges.

Maybe the officiant sees the charges the other wedding support services are charging and figures their tiny fee is insulting, so maybe they look in the rulebook and find nothing to make them give permission? It's a business, after all.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 07:22 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika Ohumukini View Post
If you can't get the shot you want then pause the ceremony, ask the commissioner to move back, then get your shot. I'm assuming the B&G will want the shot. If all else fails, then have the B&G re-enact the important shots after the ceremony (giving away, rings, kiss, facing the crowd, etc.) GL
Jeez i would never interrupt a ceremony! I do however get them to go back in afterwards to re-enact the kiss and ring exchange

Last edited by Peter Rush; March 12th, 2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: typo
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:46 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Jeez i would never interrupt a ceremony! I do however get them to go back in afterwards to re-enact the kiss and ring exchange
Of course not. :) But, this ceremony is already hosed thanks to a shy commissioner. If all other options were off the table then I'd throw it out there before turning down the gig. Cheers.
Kawika Ohumukini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #24
Sponsor: JET DV

Film it as normal and then put the big "I didn't want to be filmed" blob over their face! :-)
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques