Demo Video - Compilation or Individual Highlights? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 12th, 2011, 11:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Demo Video - Compilation or Individual Highlights?

I'm attending an upcoming bridal show soon, and would like some advice about what to use as a demo video. Last year we just had a few highlight videos repeat over and over again. But this year i'd thought of cutting up all the different videos and throwing them into one big compilation video, cutting from one wedding to the next, then back to the first one, mixing all the weddings up into one big highlights video.

The idea is that the brides walking by would see a wide range of shots and wedding styles quickly without having to stop and watch all the different wedding videos. But at the same time, each wedding has it's own style and feel to it, especially with the music. So it's hard to know what to do, it's also hard to be objective to the situation since I know what those shots are supposed to cut to, what music they go with etc, and changing it kind of messes up the "feel"

What do you think? Thanks.
Paul Hildebrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:37 AM   #2
Trustee

Paul, this is a subject on which most people will have a different view so accept this as just mine.

Decide first what your objectives at the fair are. In ascending priority ours are to a) get our demo pack into the hands of prospective purchasers b) to talk to them also and to convey the main USPs of our product and service, encourage them to watch the demos and to call us and c) to get contacts for a followup. Our demo pack is a double DVD, two brochures and a value comparison chart which you can see on our website if you wish. Our experience is that the pack and especially the demos do the main client conversion so we don't expect or get many on-fair confirmations.

In our view the video shown at the fair is a completely different animal - essentially a series of TV ads for us. They are short and repeat continuously. The objectives of the ads are :

1 to attract attention and thus delay people as they walk past giving you time to deal with them in person.

2 at peak times, to convey in 15-20 seconds using text as well as images some key points about our service and product;

3 along with other posters on the stand to invite people to help themselves to a demo pack at busy times. We package the demos in a silver foil envelope which is easy to spot and saves you giving two demos or even taking time with people you've already seen

You'll gather that the on-stand video we don't call the demo.

One thing we found was that despite our name and the four or five different screens running on the stand, some people would still pause and say "Oh, video" as if they'd thought we were selling favours or fascinators. We therefore bought a large vertical banner which says in huge letters, "The best value in three camera wedding videos". Blatant perhaps but it's stopped any confusion. And it also sums up our product.

Whatever you do don't be precious about your promotional material. If it's good it's probably also expensive, but no matter how expensive it is, it does no good in your store cupboard. Get it into people's hands where it can do some good. Some will be wasted. Accept it.

The adage that half of all advertising and promotion is wasted is fundamentally true and the trick is still to know which half. When you discover it let me know won't you?
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Trustee

Paul,

I cut several together but worked through a typical day in order. Bridal prep, dress shot, venue, ceremony, photo shoot, speeches, cake cutting, first dance... that sort of thing. I run it in a loop at a show, mines a little longer (2 songs worth). I don't think that there is a definitive answer. My current one is on my home page Love Stories On Film
Old January 15th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Paul,

My approach in wedding showcase is more of showing the different weddings that we have shot while having a bit of storytelling in it as it is really what we are showcasing in our work.

Here is our take on wedding showcase, hope it helps :)

Santo
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #5
Trustee

Susanto, I love the way you show the additional benefits of video that you don't get with photos. That's much more powerful than just saying it. Have you ever been mugged by a photographer when you were leaving a bridal show? ;-)
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi jim,

We never did a bridal show. But we have got many positive feedback from everyone who watched it, including photographers :) then again, we only showed what we think is true. Its up to others to think otherwise.

We have booked quiet a few brides who teared up just watching the showcase and didnt feel the need to see our other work. I believe the showcase has done its purpose quiet well.
Old January 15th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Major Player

great video. the beginning is much like the Canon commercial comparing stills to video. It's awesome and a great idea to show brides that aren't interested in getting a video.
Michael Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #8
Trustee

Santo,

Great work. Absolutely love the way you use the still grabs...
Old March 6th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Re: Demo Video - Compilation or Individual Highlights?

Santo, this is great video, and good point to many brides who still doesn't treat video in the same way as photo!
I'm having my first wedding fair on 11 March 2012! Very excited! Place looks great: Warren house in Kingston.
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hey Edgar

More importantly Santo has done the one thing there that all advertisers strive for and that's getting the buyers attention in less than 30 seconds...you want your video's start section to invoke a desire in the bride's mind probably within 15 seconds that "Gosh, I really have to have video at my wedding" ...After she has that thought implanted in her mind you can then show off your skills for a short while with a brief showcase of your work. I don't do bridal shows here but on the start page and very first paragraph of my website I do the very same thing. Just showing your work, regardless of how brilliant it might be, doesn't get the message across to someone that "you really should be looking at this because......"

Hope you get tons of genuine enquiries and that results in plenty of bookings!!!

Your feedback and results will be interesting to look at after the fair is done and dusted

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris! I will post results might be a week later or so...
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Nice work Susanto!

Old March 8th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #13
Major Player

lovely work Susanto
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Major Player

Amazing Susanto, and such a simple yet overlooked idea! Shove it in their face that Video > Photo. :)
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:17 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hey Edgar

More importantly Santo has done the one thing there that all advertisers strive for and that's getting the buyers attention in less than 30 seconds...you want your video's start section to invoke a desire in the bride's mind probably within 15 seconds that "Gosh, I really have to have video at my wedding" ...After she has that thought implanted in her mind you can then show off your skills for a short while with a brief showcase of your work. I don't do bridal shows here but on the start page and very first paragraph of my website I do the very same thing. Just showing your work, regardless of how brilliant it might be, doesn't get the message across to someone that "you really should be looking at this because......"

Hope you get tons of genuine enquiries and that results in plenty of bookings!!!

Your feedback and results will be interesting to look at after the fair is done and dusted

Chris
Ok, about my experience in wedding fair that took place in Warren House on 11 March 2012.

It was a disaster for everyone!

There were no more than 50 registered couples, some of them even didn't knew their dates, some of them were planing to get married abroad. I had might be 4-5 couples who were interested in my service, the rest of them even didn't thought about video....It looks like people still thinking about video as an extra option, and they can leave without it...
Sad...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques