DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Best Ceremony cetup for 7D + XHA1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/510229-best-ceremony-cetup-7d-xha1.html)

Sean Nelson August 25th, 2012 12:18 AM

Best Ceremony cetup for 7D + XHA1?

Got a wedding with one 7D and one XHA1. As of right now, I am thinking of using the XHA1 for the wide shot from straight on with all three in the shot and the 7D with the 70-200mm at a side angle to get the brides face and some or a lot of the groom's side?

Is this the best approach for a cinematic editing kind of end product or should i have the XHA1 on reverse side to get the grooms face?

Nigel Barker August 25th, 2012 01:02 AM

Re: Best Ceremony cetup for 7D + XHA1?

That sounds just right playing to the particular strengths of the cameras. In good light the XHA1 is still a decent camera & will resolve more detail than the 7D so is better for a wide. The softer look of the 7D is flattering to faces. The normal convention with wedding videography is that A-camera is standing on the groom's side looking into the bride's face.

Tom Dickerson August 25th, 2012 07:11 AM

Sean, for me it depends what kind of angle I can get on the bride and groom. Sometimes it depends on how the minister has them positioned. If I use two cameras, as you've described, I still try to get as much of the side of the grooms face as possible. Your XHA1 framed on the three also captures his vows so you're fine there. And you are absolutely correct; whenever in question always favor the bride.

Sean Nelson August 25th, 2012 09:11 PM

Sucks... Was going to help a friend out by shooting a wedding and the place holding his wedding requires I have a license and insurance. Ughh

Chris Harding August 25th, 2012 11:53 PM

It pretty normal here too..the concept is that if a little granny trips over your tripod and falls and breaks her hip, because it was your gear, the venue is not covered for public liability so you need to have it...if that's the only wedding you are likely to do then it's not worth it....you could, of course, just go as a guest and take the 7D and still shoot the guy some handheld shots if he can allocate you a nice front row seat...the venue wouldn't insist on insurance from guests doing video or photos.

Chris

Chad Andreo August 27th, 2012 03:53 AM

Are you shooting solo?
If so, I would recommend putting the XHA1 down the aisle to capture all three subjects. That would be your safety camera. I would then use the 7D with a 70-200 on some legs and try and get a tight shot of the bride and groom especially when exchanging rings and the kiss.