Best Ceremony cetup for 7D + XHA1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 25th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Ceremony cetup for 7D + XHA1?

Got a wedding with one 7D and one XHA1. As of right now, I am thinking of using the XHA1 for the wide shot from straight on with all three in the shot and the 7D with the 70-200mm at a side angle to get the brides face and some or a lot of the groom's side?

Is this the best approach for a cinematic editing kind of end product or should i have the XHA1 on reverse side to get the grooms face?
Sean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Best Ceremony cetup for 7D + XHA1?

That sounds just right playing to the particular strengths of the cameras. In good light the XHA1 is still a decent camera & will resolve more detail than the 7D so is better for a wide. The softer look of the 7D is flattering to faces. The normal convention with wedding videography is that A-camera is standing on the groom's side looking into the bride's face.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Sean, for me it depends what kind of angle I can get on the bride and groom. Sometimes it depends on how the minister has them positioned. If I use two cameras, as you've described, I still try to get as much of the side of the grooms face as possible. Your XHA1 framed on the three also captures his vows so you're fine there. And you are absolutely correct; whenever in question always favor the bride.
Tom Dickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sucks... Was going to help a friend out by shooting a wedding and the place holding his wedding requires I have a license and insurance. Ughh
Sean Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 11:53 PM   #5
Inner Circle

It pretty normal here too..the concept is that if a little granny trips over your tripod and falls and breaks her hip, because it was your gear, the venue is not covered for public liability so you need to have it...if that's the only wedding you are likely to do then it's not worth it....you could, of course, just go as a guest and take the 7D and still shoot the guy some handheld shots if he can allocate you a nice front row seat...the venue wouldn't insist on insurance from guests doing video or photos.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Are you shooting solo?
If so, I would recommend putting the XHA1 down the aisle to capture all three subjects. That would be your safety camera. I would then use the 7D with a 70-200 on some legs and try and get a tight shot of the bride and groom especially when exchanging rings and the kiss.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques