What camera will match my C100? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 22nd, 2014, 07:51 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: What camera will match my C100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
We use a 6D as our backup to a C100. Same great low light performance but way sharper than the 5DMK3.
Way sharper...... really?
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 10:09 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
Way sharper...... really?
That's not my experience. The 6D is about the level of the 5D Mark II overall, so the same softness but the moire and aliasing the Mark III lacks.

Sounds like a Picture Style mixup to me.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2014, 10:12 PM   #18
Major Player

Malcom,

I like how the footage looks when cut together with the C100. I think my decision will depend quite a bit on what the 5D Mk IV has to offer. I just saw a post today that "claims" to have the specs and release date for it:

Canon 5D Mark IV

According to this site it will only be 1080p, but the site doesn't say how they know that these specs are accurate. If I find out for certain that it doesn't shoot 4K but costs close to $4K then I probably won't go for it. If the Mk IV does shoot in 4K then I would be more likely to spend the money on it because the image will likely have enough detail to match the C100 and I will have the ability to crop and reframe.

Somehow the A7S seems to have the most detail at 1080p of any DSLR that I've seen (and of course you can record 4K externally). I think they used some magic when designing that sensor because it can see in the dark and the detail in 1080p is a amazing.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 03:18 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
If the Mk IV does shoot in 4K then I would be more likely to spend the money on it because the image will likely have enough detail to match the C100 and I will have the ability to crop and reframe.
I don't think they will add 4K to the 5dIV, at least not before the c100 gets it, if that ever will be the case. I also believe the video quality of the 5d will never be the same as the c100, there is a reason why canon has crippled the 5d so it doesn't step into c100 territory. If you just see how much more the camera is capable off with the ML hack you know canon doesn't want this to be a too good videocamera.
They way it looks now Canon is implementing 4K on the higher end, and much more expensive camera's, such as the c300. It almost looks they have locked themselves into their cine camera line that prevents them to follow the competition with the latest innovations. I also don't see them coming out with a sub 1000 dollar camera that does 4K as long as their 5K c100 can only do 1080p.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 11:53 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Silverman View Post
Malcom,

I like how the footage looks when cut together with the C100. I think my decision will depend quite a bit on what the 5D Mk IV has to offer. I just saw a post today that "claims" to have the specs and release date for it:

Canon 5D Mark IV

According to this site it will only be 1080p, but the site doesn't say how they know that these specs are accurate. If I find out for certain that it doesn't shoot 4K but costs close to $4K then I probably won't go for it. If the Mk IV does shoot in 4K then I would be more likely to spend the money on it because the image will likely have enough detail to match the C100 and I will have the ability to crop and reframe.

Somehow the A7S seems to have the most detail at 1080p of any DSLR that I've seen (and of course you can record 4K externally). I think they used some magic when designing that sensor because it can see in the dark and the detail in 1080p is a amazing.
A word of advice: don't hold your breath for 4k on the 5D4. Considering Canon didn't even release it on the C100mII (which is considerably more expensive), I find it highly unlikely for them to release it on any other camera within that price range.

I would however wait to see what Sony has up its sleeves with the upcoming A9. Whatever happens with that, I'm sure it will bring the price of the A7s down slightly.
Malcolm Debono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 03:47 PM   #21
Trustee

There are rumours of a C300 replacement being announced next year that will have 4K. If there's any camera in Canon range to implement it, it would be that one. If the 5d Mark IV follows a year or too later it may also have it, but at a much lower codec. Canon seem to approach their lower end cameras with the strategy of what can't they include to get their camera on the market, whilst other manufacturers like Sony and Panasonic seem to follow the opposite approach of what can be included. That said Sony & Panasonic are still acting in their own interest given their line of 4K Tv's. Of the 2 I find Sony more progressive with video; and I say that with 4 Panasonic cameras and an investment in 4/3 lenses.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques