Video Exchange at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #1
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 12
Video Exchange

Hello to all.

We have been working on adding Videography as a service to our already established Disc Jockey business.

After shooting several weddings at no cost to build up some experience, we have finally completed our first paid video.

I would like to know if any wedding videographers in different markets would be interested in exchanging their full videos for ours.

We would like to get ideas from seasoned professionals as well as get critiqued on our work for future videos.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
__________________
Jay Villa
DJ for YOU
7807 Long Point Rd., Ste. 390
Houston, TX 77055
713-465-9599
Jay Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 688
You're joking - right?
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #3
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
You're joking - right?
No. Why? Is this a problem?
__________________
Jay Villa
DJ for YOU
7807 Long Point Rd., Ste. 390
Houston, TX 77055
713-465-9599
Jay Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:30 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 688
Welcome to DV Info Jay.

Please don't take offense - but since you've admonished the fact that you've only recently entered the business there is 0 incentive for someone to want to see your video. You should know that there are plenty of members here that post samples online regularly without ever asking for anything in return. Spend time in this forum, read a bunch of threads, and you'll learn a lot. But the best thing you could do is refer to the STICKY thread by Glen Elliott which lists a bunch of training resources.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49464
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #5
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
Welcome to DV Info Jay.

Please don't take offense - but since you've admonished the fact that you've only recently entered the business there is 0 incentive for someone to want to see your video. You should know that there are plenty of members here that post samples online regularly without ever asking for anything in return. Spend time in this forum, read a bunch of threads, and you'll learn a lot. But the best thing you could do is refer to the STICKY thread by Glen Elliott which lists a bunch of training resources.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49464
I didn't expect anyone to learn from our video. I was hoping they could critique it. But I also would like to see a whole video so I may also learn in the process.
__________________
Jay Villa
DJ for YOU
7807 Long Point Rd., Ste. 390
Houston, TX 77055
713-465-9599
Jay Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #6
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 12
P.S. Thanks for the link.
__________________
Jay Villa
DJ for YOU
7807 Long Point Rd., Ste. 390
Houston, TX 77055
713-465-9599
Jay Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 353
Welcome, Jay.

Why not make things easy on yourself by farming out the videography to videographers in your area? Jack up your package price to pay the videographer and yourself. Maybe you can keep someone on retainer. As you know, relationships be can a business's biggest asset. You scratch the videographer's back, he/she will scratch yours :)

The idea of a DJ doubling as a videographer makes me uneasy. That would be like me dropping $5K on a dSLR camera and calling myself a "photographer" even though I haven't used anything other than a point-n-shoot camera for 10 years. These jobs -- like deejayng and MC'ing -- require unique skills and specific experience. People do their best work when they specialize in something. If you try to be a jack-of-all-trades and master of none, instead of being the best DJ around you risk ending up a so-so DJ and and a minimally competent videographer.

From where I sit, it would be an easier business decision to partner with a videographer or two instead of trying to do it all yourself. This way, at least you could learn on the job by shadowing the videographer instead of through trial-and-error (and message boards). I know of at least one successful partnership here in the Indianapolis market; people from two separate businesses (DJ and videographer) hold a weekly open house in a suburban office park. Both companies seem to be doing well with this co-marketing. There seems to be more interest in one-stop shopping among wealthier clientelle. (But I can't say for sure, as I'm entrenthced in the middle-priced market.)

Good luck, whatever you decide.

T.J.
Tim Borek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 349
As others have said, people will critique a video if you post it online. Most videographers will not watch your entire DVD and tell you what is good and what is not. I'd recommend taking part of your work, possibly a highlights clip or something else that is short, and posting it up here for review. You'll likely get a decent response, as most threads do.

Also, if you want to see another company's demo DVD just request one. You don't have to pretend to be a bride or groom or anything. Most of the bigger companies will have a DVD request section on their website. I've gotten several DVD's from other local videographers this way. It's nice to learn from others and see their total package. I'd strongly urge you not to copy other videographer's style though. Find what works for you, but don't rip anyone else off. I'm not saying you would do that, but there is a tendency for newcomers to do that.

And last of all I'll throw in my warning about your business model. While it could be done, and I somewhat see why you would want to, I don't know that it is the best idea. You're profit margin on video is much lower than on DJing, as video takes so much time to complete. I'd recommend pairing with a local videography company. They benefit, you benefit and so does the client. Everyone's happy. But it sounds like you've already purchased equipment and started in on this. If that is the case then I guess just move ahead and do your best. Good luck to you.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #9
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Borek
Welcome, Jay.

Why not make things easy on yourself by farming out the videography to videographers in your area? Jack up your package price to pay the videographer and yourself. Maybe you can keep someone on retainer. As you know, relationships be can a business's biggest asset. You scratch the videographer's back, he/she will scratch yours :)

The idea of a DJ doubling as a videographer makes me uneasy. That would be like me dropping $5K on a dSLR camera and calling myself a "photographer" even though I haven't used anything other than a point-n-shoot camera for 10 years. These jobs -- like deejayng and MC'ing -- require unique skills and specific experience. People do their best work when they specialize in something. If you try to be a jack-of-all-trades and master of none, instead of being the best DJ around you risk ending up a so-so DJ and and a minimally competent videographer.

From where I sit, it would be an easier business decision to partner with a videographer or two instead of trying to do it all yourself. This way, at least you could learn on the job by shadowing the videographer instead of through trial-and-error (and message boards). I know of at least one successful partnership here in the Indianapolis market; people from two separate businesses (DJ and videographer) hold a weekly open house in a suburban office park. Both companies seem to be doing well with this co-marketing. There seems to be more interest in one-stop shopping among wealthier clientelle. (But I can't say for sure, as I'm entrenthced in the middle-priced market.)

Good luck, whatever you decide.

T.J.
Hello T.J.

I understand what you are saying.

I actually am not the videographer. I don't know much about it. There is a guy who I hired specifically for video work. He is a good friend of mine. He comes from a theater / acting background, so he has a more creative eye than I do. His interests and goals lie in filmmaking. I told him that if he wanted to learn wedding videography, it would be a start. It may not be independent films, but at least he would be working with a camera and get to direct some shots.
__________________
Jay Villa
DJ for YOU
7807 Long Point Rd., Ste. 390
Houston, TX 77055
713-465-9599
Jay Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #10
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oveson
As others have said, people will critique a video if you post it online. Most videographers will not watch your entire DVD and tell you what is good and what is not. I'd recommend taking part of your work, possibly a highlights clip or something else that is short, and posting it up here for review. You'll likely get a decent response, as most threads do.
I did post a couple of clips here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oveson
Also, if you want to see another company's demo DVD just request one. You don't have to pretend to be a bride or groom or anything. Most of the bigger companies will have a DVD request section on their website. I've gotten several DVD's from other local videographers this way. It's nice to learn from others and see their total package.
Just go on their sites and request one? I didn't know I could do that. Even then, all I'll get is a Demo disc with their best work. I wanted a complete video because wanted to see what elements went into a wedding video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oveson
And last of all I'll throw in my warning about your business model. While it could be done, and I somewhat see why you would want to, I don't know that it is the best idea. You're profit margin on video is much lower than on DJing, as video takes so much time to complete. I'd recommend pairing with a local videography company. They benefit, you benefit and so does the client. Everyone's happy. But it sounds like you've already purchased equipment and started in on this. If that is the case then I guess just move ahead and do your best. Good luck to you.
I did already purchase equipment. I own 2 Canon XL1-s cameras. Just so you'll know, the profit margin a DJ makes are not so great either. I'm really not interested in partnering with a video company because, and this will sound arrogant, I like to be the one in charge. I do not want to have to depend on somebody else for things I need for my company.
__________________
Jay Villa
DJ for YOU
7807 Long Point Rd., Ste. 390
Houston, TX 77055
713-465-9599

Last edited by Jay Villa; April 10th, 2006 at 11:15 AM.
Jay Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:14 AM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Villa
Just go on their sites and request one? I didn't know I could do that. Even then, all I'll get is a Demo disc with their best work. I wanted a complete video because wanted to see what elements went into a wedding video.
Well, it's kind of a roll of the dice. I got a disc showing full sections of a wedding video, just broken up into different categories. Others I've received have just been demo discs, with less content. No harm in trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Villa
I did already purchase equipment. I own 2 Canon XL1-s cameras. Just so you'll know, the profit margin a DJ makes are so great either. I'm really not interested in partnering with a video company because, and this will sound arrogant, I like to be the one in charge. I do not want to have to depend on somebody else for things I need for my company.
Hmm....someone who likes to be in charge? Sounds like you'd make a lousy videographer. NONE of us are control freaks. =) Well, most of us stay in our circle of influence, but we like to control things inside that circle. If you've got a separate gentleman with more of a background in this then you'll probably be all right. Concerning profit margins, I'd say that the percentage is probably higher for DJ's. You've got your set up time and event time, but usually once the event is over it's over, no? Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with what DJ's do after an event is over.
Mike Oveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #12
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oveson
Hmm....someone who likes to be in charge? Sounds like you'd make a lousy videographer. NONE of us are control freaks. =) Well, most of us stay in our circle of influence, but we like to control things inside
that circle.
Well, I mean with company matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oveson
Concerning profit margins, I'd say that the percentage is probably higher for DJ's. You've got your set up time and event time, but usually once the event is over it's over, no? Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with what DJ's do after an event is over.
This is true, but we would be having a wet dream (at least I would) if we could get $1500 and up for DJ work. Right now I have to run 4 DJ systems to make a living. I'm looking to add a couple more. Customers cry, kick, and scream about prices. We currently charge $600 for a 4 hour event. It's almost impossible to get it consistantly. Most of my competition is at $400 - $500.
__________________
Jay Villa
DJ for YOU
7807 Long Point Rd., Ste. 390
Houston, TX 77055
713-465-9599
Jay Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM   #13
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Willmar, MN
Posts: 1,400
Yeah, Jay is right. I spent 15 years as a wedding DJ. The profit margin is deceptively small (unless you're running illegal with downloaded music.)

Jay, I think you've got a good plan going by hiring a videographer.

I'm no seasoned pro, but I've got a few weddings under my belt. I'll swap videos with you, maybe we can learn and grow together. PM me with your address.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:57 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network