Monopods? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 9th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Monopods?

Hi there,
Has anyone played around or used a tilt type monopod? Are they any good or not that useful for event filming? Would you recommend sticking with a standard monopod? Thanks for your answers

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I've used a Bogen 682B (with feet on it) and a 503 head on it. It adds to the weight but gives some added flexiblity of use with the smaller cameras

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don! You've been a great help here on the forum as well as everyone else. I'm looking into those pieces now. Thanks for taking the time to give input.

Monday
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa
Hi there,
Has anyone played around or used a tilt type monopod? Are they any good or not that useful for event filming? Would you recommend sticking with a standard monopod?
Are you really talking about a monopod that tilts or a monopod with a HEAD that tilts?

While I have a 503 head on my tripod, I'm not sure I want/need all of that on a monopod.

My monopod is a Bogen 679D, with the 672SC2 "suction/spike" foot, a Bogen 3232 Swivel Tilt Head and a Bogen 577 Quick release adapter assembly (so I can quickly switch between my video camera [on the 503] and my Nikon still camera).

A monopod is better than hand-held (because it stops UP/Down travel) but not better than a tripod (which also stops unwanted Side-Side motion).

You may want to further research some of the suggestions for better control of a monopod (and most of those don't have the monopod in a perfectly vertical position).

In any case, my setup allows me to tilt the cameras up/down to offset holding the monopod away from my body AND to flip a still camera ninety-degrees so I can take vertical shoots.
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #5
Major Player

Hey Marc,
Thanks for your input. I've used a monopod many times with my camcorder which has been very fun, I've been able to be petty creative with it. For certain shots because the monopod is more compact (one stick) I was able to do them very nicely than with a tripod as that is really bulky. Pretty much I was looking for a monopod that had a swivel tilt head already attached, which would give me more versatility I was thinking. So I asked the question and Don sent me on the right track. The 503 head is really nice and I purchased it yesterday. Can't wait for it to come in. My friend has a 682b that he's giving me, that's really cool. Thanks again Marc

Monday
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:50 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom
I've used a Bogen 682B (with feet on it) and a 503 head on it. It adds to the weight but gives some added flexiblity of use with the smaller cameras. Don
I also have used the Bogen 682B (with the tripod/feet in place) and a Bogen 503(Manf. 3460) head on it with a Sony FX1 on top. When the feet are deployed, the 682 monopod doesn't allow for much motion, especially if you need to tilt up or down. The combination of the 682B and 503 head allows for a pretty sturdy setup in a tight space and gives you the ability to move quickly to a new spot. The only thing is that you pretty much have to hold top of the monopod with one hand when panning/tilting with the 503 head - so most of the time you won't be able to use two hands on the head/camera.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Redford
I also have used the Bogen 682B (with the tripod/feet in place) and a Bogen 503(Manf. 3460) head on it with a Sony FX1 on top. When the feet are deployed, the 682 monopod doesn't allow for much motion, especially if you need to tilt up or down. The combination of the 682B and 503 head allows for a pretty sturdy setup in a tight space and gives you the ability to move quickly to a new spot. The only thing is that you pretty much have to hold top of the monopod with one hand when panning/tilting with the 503 head - so most of the time you won't be able to use two hands on the head/camera.
Shawn I have used the same setup, and the only problem I have is that the feet on the Bogen monopod seem to be a bit springy, which gives the monopod a slight bouce when moved, as in panning.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques