Replacement Camera Needed - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 18th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #16
Trustee

Sony & On Camera Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Potthoff
Jason,
I really hope that you are looking much harder at the sony now. As for the mic mount I have really no big complaints I use a MK 70 mic on the camera at reception but use a field recoreder at the cermony.
I have used the FX1's on camera mic and an Azden shotgun mic mounted on an Azden shock mount. I can't imagine using any on camera mic ever again. There is just too much camera noise and clicks transfered to the mic through the camera body.

Can the PD170's default mic mount be removed in favor of a shock mount or is it good enough?

As far as the Sony, I am reconsidering the desire for a 20x lens. Chances are I won't need it for the two non-wedding productions and since Don mentioned not being limited by the 12x I believe I have eliminated that from my "requirements."

That pretty much leaves my concerns down to the quality of the optical stabilization on the Sony (PD170) when compared to the Canon because I have only heard good things about the Canon's but not much about the Sony's. I don't have a chance of owning any stabilizer systems (just to expensive, especially given my budget) so I need the lens to be as good as possible.

jason
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #17
Regular Crew

mount

yes you can unscrew the shock mount and take it off. As for the stablizer, I feel that it does a good job. I really have no complaints at all. I would say that the only disadvatage is that it is not a shoulder mount camera but at the same time I would argue that being a plus though also.
Brandon
Brandon Potthoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #18
Inner Circle

The mic mount on the 170 is held on by 2 small screws Don't lose 'em ;-)

As for the stabilization on the Sony's I pretty much leave it on all the time (I'm old and shakey) and for the most part haven't had any problems when on a tripod with it and it does help when handholding BUT I try hard when using the 150 to either be on a tripod OR a monopod. For that matter I use a Varizoom stabilizer rig for my 250 as well-you can only handhold for so long without shaking and the best optical stabilizer can only do so much.

Personally I'm a Sony guy and have been for years except for the times I've owned JVCs (VX2s-5000U) and I love the Sonys. Personal preference.
Frankly I say go with Sony but again, I'm prejudiced
O|O
\__/

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques