Business Card design!?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 14th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Business Card design!?!

Hi guys, I have done a few weddings now and have a good few booked for this year… all which has come from word of mouth which is brilliant but I defiantly need business cards to hand out and for advertising. I have been meaning to do it for ages but finding it hard to know put on it in terms of design?

I think I would have a nice clean black back with white text but what do u put on the front? Name ok but, what’s the picture of? Camera? Bride? Bride and groom? Me?!? Cool design? Any thoughts would be welcome!

Also I am getting them professional printed, nothing worse then tacky cards.
Andrew Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #2
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
I haven't done it yet, but I like the advice I was given. "Create (or have a graphic artist create) a logo for your company. Put it on everything from your cards, to your equipment." The logo gives someone a mental image to go with you and they'll likely remember you better.

It sounded like good advice to me, let us know if you do it, and how it works out.

Good luck,

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Wedding = Pretty, it's that simple. If you use a picture of a bride, make sure it's an action shot, and she's smiling, or something. Impression impression.

We actually have a company color, so you might want to think about that as well.

We use overnightprints.com for our cards. They work out well, if you use them, tell them I sent you, I think I get a free card or something. :}
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Major Player

hi andrew, which part of britain are you from? i recommend azimuthprint or printing.com or vistaprint (in that order)

make sure you design in CMYK and NOT RGB. or at least get a proof if ur unsure.

graphically, it's always best to keep a colour scheme/theme throughout ur logos/leaflets/business-cards/website, for obvious psychological reasons :)

i've got very striking, full-colour bleed stationary, which i'm really happy with...i'll email u an example if u like

(n.b. my business cards say 'contemporary film productions' instead of 'wedding films', simply for the reason that i'm branching out to do music videos, school plays etc and i didn't want to be limited to just wedding clients when handing them out. ....worth thinking about.)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Brilliant white linen, for card stock, can look very nice.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I created my business card trying not to image one facet of my services.
Being a Graphic/Web designer, and having done other business cards for other companies gave me a leg up in coming up with something that Visually represents my company.

I decided on 4-color front and back. It's normal for a person to immediately flip the card over to see if anything else is on the other side. I always get a "WoW" response when some one sees my card.
The front has my Logo, neutral image and basic contact stuff along with tag lines of services provided.
On the back I basically did an "About Us" type message with a smaller version of my logo on the bottom.

This design took me roughly 4-5 weeks to hash out. The Logo and message took the longest to create. But it would lead to easier web site creation from this point on.

I believe the 4-color full bleed job ran $90 for 1000 cards.

If you take a peek at my site, it resembles to a certain degree the look-n-feel of my card.

Good Luck creating yours...
Vince Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

great advice guys, just one point am still stuck on... would i use a picture of a bride ive filmed or get a stock image somewhere?

ive prefer stock image but where would i get one? i have filmed three wedding just and theyve all been ppl i know so thats why i would think about stay away from ones ive done
Andrew Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Goodman
ive prefer stock image but where would i get one? i have filmed three wedding just and theyve all been ppl i know so thats why i would think about stay away from ones ive done

Why would it matter, you can use stock if you want, but I'm a purist on this point. All the images we use are from our work.

The first bride picture I ever used was from someone we knew. I don't think that should matter.
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:21 AM   #9
Inner Circle

be creative...
you can get cd shaped like business card with samples on it.
you can get cheap 32mb usb memory key with your company name/phone/mail.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #10
Major Player

If u insist on stock pics, then u can't go wrong with sxc.hu, otherwise use ur own pics or none at all.
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:25 AM   #11
Still Motion

We just redid ours last week aftermoving into our new studio. We went for something that we summarize our style in one photo (luckily we also do photo so we can use our own work). We wanted a simple font that was readable but also not too plain. I have attached our latest card.

We have a couple different versions of the card with different backs, some with simple text on a black back to another photo.

Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Business Card design!?!-front1.jpg  
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Nice Card.... Here's a draft of mine...
http://motionone.tv/images/small_320x200.gif
Attached Images

Vince Lucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis
We use overnightprints.com for our cards. They work out well, if you use them, tell them I sent you, I think I get a free card or something. :}
I just wanted to say thanks for this post. I was in the process of redesigning and reordering some business cards and some other materials for a bridal show coming up and checked out overnightprints.com. They are very reasonably priced! I ordered everything from them for 1/2 of the price of my other company. I can't wait to get them!

(I tried to tell them you sent me, but they don't ask anywhere when ordering online!)
Dawn Brennan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques