Single Camera wedding - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 24th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Wireless mics

Thanks again.
Looks like I will be purchasing the Senn G2. It's not cheap but it is a worthwhile investment and my goal is to get crisp clean audio. Any good deals out their for these mics?

Jim
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Senn G2 and VX-2100

Rick,
Can I plug the output from the G2 receiver directly into the VX-2100 1/8" mic input or do I need an adapter?

Thanks
Jim
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bucciferro View Post
Rick,
Can I plug the output from the G2 receiver directly into the VX-2100 1/8" mic input or do I need an adapter?

Thanks
Jim
No adapter needed. It comes with an XLR cable and 1/8".

As far as "deals", I'd order from one of the sponsors here at dvinfo. It isn't worth saving the extra $10 to go elsewhere IMO.

You might want to think about adding $100 to the cost and get the Senn G2 system that also comes with a butt plug - this turns any handheld XLR mic into a wireless unit.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:10 AM   #19
Trustee

Now that you have all the technical information, the real challenge is to capture the spirit of the event. I keep the camera running through the entire service and record the pan & zooms (these are never usuable, but keep the sound in sequence). Drop in shots of the church details over the P&Z's, or tme stretch a clip to cover these - slo mo always gives a nice touch

Make a point of chatting to the vicar prior to the service, find out what he will and won't allow - then stick to his rules.

I have covered many weddings as a still photographer and dreaded Saturdays. I don't do many video weddings (about six a year) but enjoy them far more than stills.

Have fun in August and enjoy the day.
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Its funny really, I am doing my first "proffessional wedding video" for 14 years next month and Jims question struck a chord. I am shooting this solo with most likely a single camera, its a freebie lost leader to get some footage for a proper demo reel. The advice given here is invaluable.

What Vincent suggested is exactly how I used to shoot the service all those years ago. My main worry is sound.....

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a couple of questions

I have a Senheiser radio mike and a few boundary mikes to play with, along with a shotgun mike that I can use.

I have the quandry that goes like this:

a) Radio mike the groom and hopefully get the sound from that with an on cam mike.
b) Boundary mike close to the action and on cam mike
c) Shot gun mike and boundary mike remote from the cam
d) Radio mike the groom and shotgun mike close in.

I have a fear of radio mikes because to me they are an unknown, I have used wired mikes many years ago and had quite good success with them.

Whats the best way to go, setting up is probably the issue here, simplest and quickest bearing in mind that I am a solo operator.

I also had this general idea for the reception - I wanted to record the top table clearly for the speeches. To this end I bought 4 boundary mikes from Maplin, they seem ok! I also bought a Zoom 1608 multi track recorder (bit of a self indulgant reason - I wanted something to record multitrack at a venue but also wanted to play with audio recording my guitar playing heheh) I have a 20m long 8 way XLR cable to get the signals back to the recording deck. £600 for that lot but in my mind it fulfills the requirements!

I plan on recording the 4 tracks on the 1608 (capability is there also to record ambiant sound via a couple of mikes also if I wish) Record a guide track on the camera, and synch the lot in post. I can then alter the levels as I wish in the edit.

Is this over the top and I have just bought to please my gadget desire or have I taken a sensible step? The biggest issues I see are setting the mikes and running the cable back to the recording deck, plus setting initial levels.

Any thoughts?

cheers

Ian

Last edited by Ian Broadbent; April 28th, 2007 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Ian Broadbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #21
Inner Circle

i should point out that 95% of weddiings in the market today are still shot with 1 camera wiiith no wirellllless mic, so dont let ppls views on this board put u off.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #22
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post
i should point out that 95% of weddiings in the market today are still shot with 1 camera wiiith no wirellllless mic, so dont let ppls views on this board put u off.

*Grinning* Also don't forget that 99% of all statistics are made up! ;-)

Sorry Peter, I couldn't resist!
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:24 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Jefferson View Post
True, but Uncle Buck and Cousin Cleetus don't charge for their services either.
Rick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Well, I'm glad this thread has taken on a life of its own. There is a wealth of great information here - thanks to everyone who replied.

As for me, I have yet to get the booking - the bride is busy with other things right now but promised to call. I'll have to see what happens with that.

As for my equip, I have 1 3-chip cam, 1 1-chip Sony Handycam, 2 tripods, 2 iRivers, and a Senn G2 wireless set. Hopefully that will be enough.

I have a communion this weekend so I can at least try this setup to see what needs to be updated.

Thanks again for the input.
Jim
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #25
Major Player

an option for 2nd cam...

Hey Jim, I'm in your general locale if you ever need to hire a 2nd cam man (and I don't have a booking myself at the time). I use PD170s and they would fit in nicely with your VX2100. I also use a Glidecam on one of them and the moving footage I get with it always provides a great contrast to the tripod shots...
On the flip side, I'd like to see some of your work in case I'm ever short a cam man myself...I do the CT, NY and MA areas.
Either way, you're getting to tap into some major experience on this forum.
Welcome.
Old April 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Additional cam operator

Hey Vincent,
Thanks for the offer. I am intrigued. If the client goes for the additional expense I would consider it. I would need to know what you'd charge for the day.

We can talk offline if you'd like - my email is jimbucc@sbcglobal.net

Thanks
Jim
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:01 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bucciferro View Post
I've been looking at the Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 (EW100ENG) wireless mic system. How do these mics perform in comparison to the Azden mics?

Jim
I would insist on something that is UHF diversity, that is, a dual antenna system. The Evolution is not a diversity system. This diversity thing is to protect you from multipath distortion, and inherent problem with wireless FM systems. With diversity, there is a quick automatic change to the alternate antenna if this occurs, and a good system will do it imperceptibly. I use the Audio Technica U100. Sony makes a nice one which is compact and will attach to your camera.

Another important thing: Do a site check and make darn sure your frequency is different from the house system. I failed to do that one time and had an audio disaster. Fortunately I redid the track, but it was very embarrasing.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Back to life

I am bringing this thread back from the dead since it's showtime for the wedding.
I have since upgraded to a Canon XH-A1 and bought the Senn G2 system.
The VX-2100 will be a operated backup cam so at least I'll get some extra footage. The trick will be teaching my noob operator how to use the camera and tripod and what to look for - should be interesting.

I still have the Rode VM and am going to use it on the A1 with an XLR adapter along with the wireless so that I can mix the two. At least I still have the Sony for backup audio.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for all of the great information.

Jim
Old August 12th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #29
New Boot

So how did it go? I'm very curious.
I did only one wedding before, last March. I also shot it with the XH A1 and shot it all using my Glidecam Smooth Shooter, which was great to move around real quick. But it was hard to make shots from certain angles (low angles etc) Also it got real heavy for my back after walking around for 2,5 hours.

Next time I'm just going for a tripod and a shoulder mount. Hopefully someone wants to pay for a 2-camera setup, that saves me some headaches too.

Anyway, I'm curious about your story.
Ferdi Willemse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #30
Trustee

I also shot a wedding with the XH A1, but I used a Manfrotto Monopod, it was worth its weight in Gold. I also have a Manfrotto 525 tripod, but this is heavy and clumsy to use on a wedding. I purchased a Libec 22 tripod as it seemed lighter, but after 10 minutes the camera was off it and I returned the tripod back to the store where it was purchased from. The Pan Tilt head on the Libec was awfull. I have since purchased a Manfrotto 755N, which I use with a 503 head - SUPERB. I can also use the tripod for my stills work too (I have another head for that use).

The wedding video was great, the camera delivered outstanding shots under low light and out doors it handled bright sunlit shots very well, although the viewfinder was looking very contrasty.

I used the camera default preset and did all my colour corrections, Saturation, contrast etc. in Premiere (via a Matrox RTX2 card).
Vincent Oliver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques