a trash the dress shoot in 24P at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 9th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #1
Still Motion

a trash the dress shoot in 24P

We did our first trash the dress shoot yesterday and went through three locations varying in their grunge. I've been wanting to shoot and cut something in 24P for a while now, but haven't had the right type of shoot- but being that this is a faster clip with almost no slo-motion in post, I thought it would be the perfect chance to test it out. I haven't had a chance to watch it in HD on the LCD in our meeting room yet to really see the 24P difference, but I'm liking what I've seen so far.

Shot with the A1, a steadicam, a crane, and an HVX. Some of the HVX footage was overcranked in 24P to get the slo-mo straight out of the camera. All post work was done in final cut and some in color.

Here is a link to the blog posting with the flash video:
http://stillmotionblog.com/?p=128

Here is a link to a larger and smoother playing quicktime file:
http://www.smcouples.com/Samples/trashthedress.mov

Patrick

Last edited by Patrick Moreau; July 9th, 2007 at 02:45 PM.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Freaking. Awesome. Loved it. I've been a fan of your stuff since I joined this board a few months ago but this thing is the gold standard. Great use of music, lighting and movement. The best compliment I can give you is that videos like these are what motivate me to learn and keep me hungry.

Can I be your padawan learner?
Paul J Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #3
Still Motion

Thanks Paul. I'm glad you find our stuff so inspirational. This was an incredibely fun shoot to cover so it makes it even better when it turns out like this.

Patrick
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
Thanks Paul. I'm glad you find our stuff so inspirational. This was an incredibely fun shoot to cover so it makes it even better when it turns out like this.

Patrick
Well done love the color grading (really inspiring) it's on par with photography contrast wise and color... love it did you do all the shooting or you had help?

PS. who designed ya website??
Dante Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #5
Major Player

Your locations are simply mind blowing. I would LOVE to see what this looked like on a big screen. As it is, these clips are just pure eye-candy.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Patrick, i would love to see a BAD clip from you! that would make us feel a whole lot better :)

keep up the amazing work, and whatever you're charging, charge double (apart from when i persuade u to do my own wedding)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #7
Still Motion

Thanks for the awesome comments guys.

Dante,
I ran the Steadicam, we had Amian doing photography, and then Tony running the HVX and crane. At times when we were all shooting, we also had the groom helping tony with the crane so all three of us could shoot at once.

Alastair,
I'm really happy with how the locations turneded out however, we were so pressed for time and the weather wasn't cooperating so we actually scrapped our planned second location and headed to the barn. Looking at the clip now, I'm loving how the barn fits in and I am absolutely crazy about that phto of the couple smoking on the couch- but our other location would have been so wild for the crane.

FYI, the ban location was the same barn we used in "Jon & Sara's E-Shoot" but for that one we used mostly the outside of the barn. The inside had so much more to work with too, which we found out when we got in there.
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #8
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
Patrick, i would love to see a BAD clip from you! that would make us feel a whole lot better :)
keep up the amazing work, and whatever you're charging, charge double (apart from when i persuade u to do my own wedding)
Hi Richard,

I'll see what I can do about bringing it down a notch next time I throw something up here. We are all just having so much fun right now with how well these shoots keep coming out.

Just let us know when your ready for us to come over for your wedding and I'm sure we can work out something great in trade for a vacation :)

Patrick
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #9
Major Player

believe me Patrick, you'll get a free vacation and £££ or $$$ whichever you prefer....

i'll keep you posted as soon as i'm sure i've found the 'one'! :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #10
Major Player

How old are you Patrick? Curious to know how long it takes to get that good.
Whats your career path been? Sure others would be keen to hear how one of the Big Guns got to where he is today.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #11
Major Player

Patrick:

Loved it! Great work as usual.

Thanks for sharing.
John
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
We did our first trash the dress shoot yesterday and went through three locations varying in their grunge. ...

Patrick
Terrific film but what's this "trash the dress" thing? I must be old-fashioned but I've never heard of such a thing ... is this the latest addition to our wedding traditions? Not only spending kilobucks on a dress to be worn once but destroying it afterwards just to make sure? LOL
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #13
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve House View Post
Terrific film but what's this "trash the dress" thing? I must be old-fashioned but I've never heard of such a thing ... is this the latest addition to our wedding traditions? Not only spending kilobucks on a dress to be worn once but destroying it afterwards just to make sure? LOL
I think it all started when a photographer photoshopped in a bride with her dress on fire. Now the 'trash the dress' idea is quite the fad. For this couple, she didn't want to pay the $1000 she was quoted to properly preserve the dress, she wasn't about ot sell it and didn't want to pas sit along to her daughter, so she thought that getting some really creative photos and videos out of it would be a great idea. Her dress was all silk and I believe she said about $3500, so it was quite the investment in the shoot.

I can say that these are incredibly fun to brainstorm and shoot, regardless of where the motivation comes from in the couple.

Patrick
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #14
Major Player

It's definately your best one yet. I think we all could learn a ton from you about color. I was also taken back by the photos. Show-stopping. What was the song?

I'm out to scout some new locations...
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #15
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Brown View Post
How old are you Patrick? Curious to know how long it takes to get that good.
Whats your career path been? Sure others would be keen to hear how one of the Big Guns got to where he is today.
Hi Alastair,

To be honest, my background is in psychology and I haven't been doing this for very long. Biggest factor that got us to where we are so quickly is probably that we shoot in two mediums, photo and video, and that really accelerates the development of your artistic vision. As for an age, our entire team is quite young.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques