a trash the dress shoot in 24P - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 12th, 2007, 11:13 AM   #31
Still Motion

If there main motivation was because they didn't want to give it away, then I totally agree, it is sad. But, if your going to give away a dress worth several thousand, why not sell it and donate the money- that would go much further than donating a dress could. Like you mentioned, this is obviously a much bigger cultural issue. If you step back and think about couples spending $50k on one day. How many families could have been fed, eductated, provided with water etc if even a small portion had a small wedding with close friends and family and donated the rest. I totally agree with where your coming from.

Patrick
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
why not sell it and donate the money- that would go much further than donating a dress could.
Couldn't agree more.

Still, with all that said, your work is brilliant. I've got a love story to shoot this weekend and have been combing through some of your previous posts for some inspiration. There is a consistent level of quality and creativity that is refreshing and highly enjoyable.

Thank you for taking the time to post and share your process and thoughts.
Jon Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Regarding "trashing" the dress, I think people need to keep things in perspective. First of all, the bride isn't just going out and ruining the dress for the sake of ruining it. The idea is to gain really cool artistic video/images that you couldn't have possibly gotten before the wedding. It's called "trash the dress" because the dress probably won't be usable for another wedding afterwards, not because the bride is trashing it for no reason.

Also, how many brides hold on to their dress for decades and decades and never do anything with it again? At least with this scenario they get one last bit of enjoyment out of it. My wife just did one of these shoots in the mountains this weekend and the results were amazing. The bride had to be willing to do stuff that might permanently ruin the dress, though

Finally, as for whether the couple could sell the dress and help feed people or whatever . . . I think it's an argument that is weak, and also one that doesn't really belong here. Why not look at some of the equipment we use and say, "Wow. Do you really need that? You could use something cheaper and use the saved money to help feed people." It's a weak argument because we ALL could do more to help others out. It's not really fair to pick on a bride because she wants to do something creative with her dress.
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #34
Still Motion

That was what I was getting at, I just don't think I said it as clearly. It never hurts to bring up the point though.

But back to the original thread- want to send me shots or a link Travis so I can check out your shoot?

Patrick
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #35
Inner Circle

I'll shoot you a message when she gets the images up on her blog. It might be a week or two, though.

I didn't get any video because I was at a different wedding.
Old July 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #36
Major Player

Economics of Dress Trashing

I think the argument could be made from both sides. From an economic side, if a bride spends $3,900 for a dress, and gets the greatest satisfaction from doing that, she might influence others to do so. The poorer couple doesn't receive the donated dress, so they buy a dress from a dress-maker. The affluent bride's two friends love the trash the dress idea and trash their dresses instead of donating. The dress-maker rings up two more orders. This may deprive three poorer brides of free dresses, *but* it gives the dress-maker a livelihood.

Donations are great, but often generous people can inadvertantly diminish commerse. The best gifts, then, are gifts to someone who would've *never* made the purchase on their own. Destroying a dress may seem anti-conservationist, but it creates a need for new dresses, new designs, and new business.
Old July 14th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Patrick, what type of glidecam have you used for your ttd shoot?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #38
Still Motion

Hi Noa,

I actually used a body-mounted steadicam (the flyer) for the shoot, as well as the other samples on our site. I have a glidecam and a merlin as well, but the Flyer really gives you many more options.

Patrick
Old July 15th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Well that explains the real fluid movements, I had been thinking about buying a Merlin steadycam but because I work alone it's quite a hassle taking that thing along. I also have a bad back so I don't know if I'm able to hold it for a longer time.
A body mounted steady cam would then be a better option but then again it's even more equipment to take along and way over my budget. :)
What is you opinion on the merlin?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #40
Still Motion

Hi Noa,

The merlin is a great tool and a considerable upgrade from the glidecam (worth the extra $$ in my opinion). Having shot with the glidecam, merlin, Magiqcam, and a Flyer, I can definitely tell a difference between all the tools but you need to pay 10x the price to get something twice as good. The Flyer was quite the investment, and it is way better than the Magiqcam, but with the right practice you can also get great shots with the other tools.

One of our videographers shoots with a couple merlins. If you want to PM me, I can send you a link to something shot almost entirely with the merlin.

Patrick
Old July 15th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #41
Major Player

^^ Lol unfortunately Pat (& Noa) that link is dead for the next 8 days or so as my account capacity xploded due to all the HD downloads for that little one chapter... (unless Noa got hold of it b4 it died).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques