24p event properties at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Major Player

24p event properties

Probably I'm missing a step or two, but I'd like to know why event properties on an HDV 23.97 timeline show up default as interlaced and 29.97? Previewing these with zero effects or other mods results in preview rates around 7fps. When I change the event property to Progressive, the preview rate jumps to around 12fps, and when I further change the event undersample rate to 0.8 (80% of 29.97 is 23.97) the preview rates hits 23.97, where it shoulda been.

so, is there any other way to get the event properties correct besides manually changing each one? I've tried selecting multiple events on the timeline (Properties is grayed out), selecting all in a folder via Explorer (Properties greyed out), selecting all items in a folder via Project Media (can change to Progressive, but it did not change it on the timeline, cannot change the playback rate).

I'm surprised there's no option for selecting these during capture.

What am I missing?

Last edited by Scott Brickert; April 29th, 2008 at 11:09 PM. Reason: words
Scott Brickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

perhaps the event-clip is actually 29.97 with pulldown? ...like footage from an HV20 for instance... if so, Vegas is probably selecting upper-field as the default.

rob
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Major Player

My 24p footage from a Sony V1U show up correctly as 23.97

I have a Canon HV20 and will try to find time in the next day or two to check and see what it's 24p footage comes up as.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I can save you the trouble!

Footage captured in Vegas from an HV20 recorded in 24p cinemode will initially show up on the Vegas timeline as 29.97 with pulldown (and Vegas defaulting to upper-fields); that's what made me wonder if this was the issue... usually I convert footage from that camcorder to 24p AVI before using it in Vegas, so what Scott described is something I've never encountered.

~

I guess if the problem remains unsolved, my next steps would probably be (in order):

1) load some footage into a variety of NLE's and compositing apps, see if they all agree or not... sometimes there's a clue in the compare.

2) re-capture from source one clip using a different NLE, then repeat step 1 (see if the original capture glitched somehow)... unlikely imo.

3) (desperation) take the captured footage into After Effects, confirm the properties (CTRL-F) for the clip are correct, and re-render everything with the settings you want (yeh it's more work, but should get you where you need to be)... I usually find things get worked out problem-solving in AE... but your mileage may vary.

good luck
rob

Last edited by Rob Wood; May 1st, 2008 at 09:32 AM.
Rob Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...