Vegas Platinum 64 bit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 12th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #1
Tourist

Vegas Platinum 64 bit?

I've seen the releases and read the threads that a 64 bit version of Vegas Pro is coming in the fall, but what about the Platinum edition?

Vegas Pro is too much for me. I can't justify the cost, but since I have a AMD 64 quad core Phenom and Vista 64, I'm wondering if I should wait. If a 64 bit version of Platinum is coming out, then I'm thinking yes I should.

Thoughts?

Matt Brown
Matthew Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #2
Major Player

The upcoming 64bit version of Vegas Pro will be positioned above the current 32bit Vegas Pro. I rather doubt there will be a 64bit version of Vegas Platinum.
John Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I agree with John. Sounds very unlikely.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #4
Major Player

I hope Sony is generous with their upgrades. I'm about 2 months into V8Pro and just bought another copy for work! I read all the releases about 64 coming out late 2007, then early 2008; now I can't find anything about it at all. Couldn't wait and hope they treat their customers fairly.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #5
Inner Circle

At any rate their past upgrade price has been around $150 to registered users, which is not bad.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm curious to see what performance gains it brings. Right now my 3.2GHz dual runs @ 99% while rendering; I wonder how much it will speed things up before another part of the system becomes the pacing element. I imagine fast HDD's, solid state drives, and RAM will become increasingly valuable as we throw twice the information per tick.
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:44 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Roger, I beleive the 64 bit version will be a free upgrade of Vers 8, so no worries there. You're not the only one who is anxious. I've been waiting also. I have to admit though that editing only SD I'm pretty happy with the performance of my rapidly aging Quad core.
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:58 AM   #8
Major Player

Jeff,

If your quad is rapidly aging, my dual is ancient! I'd love to know what the true difference is on Vegas between a dual and a quad; how effectively does it use the extra processors, especially since many of the duals clock faster. I bet there's a post of some controlled tests on this matter if I can only find it.

I often shoot HDV and reframe the material during editing and render in SD. Given I'm a self-taught hack, it helps to shoot a little wide and clean things up in the software. Having extra pixels on the front provides a lot of grace on the back end.
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:00 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Main thing is it renders about twice as fast.
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:19 AM   #10
Inner Circle

FYI Roger, I just rendered a 1:40 minute project with color correction in 43 minutes, to give you an idea of what the Q6600 processor will do. I said rapidly aging in reference to my processor because it is almost a year old and is not up to HD workflow recommendations at only 2.4Ghz. Nevertheless, I am very happy with it and am extremely grateful to have it. Since I am not dabbling in HD yet it will last me awhile longer!
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #11
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
I hope Sony is generous with their upgrades. I'm about 2 months into V8Pro and just bought another copy for work! I read all the releases about 64 coming out late 2007, then early 2008; now I can't find anything about it at all. Couldn't wait and hope they treat their customers fairly.
It was announced at NAB that the 64bit version would be a free upgrade for current Vegas Pro 8 users. It was also announced that DVD Architect 5 would be a free upgrade to DVD Architect 4.5 users adding Blu-Ray authoring.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks Ed and Jeff. Good info on both accounts.
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Yours as well as my Quadcore Q6600 at 2.4 in quit capable of editing and handling the current HD AVCHD format...with my setup which consists of Vista 64Bit, 4Gig RAM, Q6600 2.4, and a 8800GTX, Pinnacle Ultimate 11... I can make a project movie an hour in length from several edited AVCHD clips, with simple transitions, and with intro Title menu's, including selected background music, rendered and burned to a AVCHD disc for PS3 Bluray playback,I am looking at about 3 1/2 Hours from render to DVD disc...Not bad in my book....I just purchased Vegas 8 so I am looking forward to more options that I can take advantage of.....
David Wayne Groves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...