Vegas doesnt support .Mov? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 9th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #1
New Boot

Vegas doesnt support .Mov?

Im trying to add a file in and its just lets the sound show up?
I have the 2005 edition.
Jim Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:16 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I think this is a re-install quicktime solution. I have had this happen to me a couple of times. I don't know of any reason not to have the latest and greatest.
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It may be you don't have the video codec needed to read the file. You can find out what codec was used with GSpot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/).
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:23 AM   #4
Sponsor: VASST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stern View Post
Im trying to add a file in and its just lets the sound show up?
Whenever just the audio or just the video shows up on the timeline, it is almost always a codec problem. You need to make sure you have the appropriate codec installed on your system for that file. Open the MOV file with the Quicktime player. In the Quicktime Movie Player select Window | Show Movie Inspector (Ctrl+I). In the Movie Inspector window look at the Format: parameter. This will tell you what codec is being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stern View Post
I have the 2005 edition.
I have no idea what that means. The 2005 edition of what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Wood View Post
It may be you don't have the video codec needed to read the file. You can find out what codec was used with GSpot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/).
Just for the record, GSpot only handles AVI files so it will not report the codec in a MOV file. As stated above, this can be done right in the free Quicktime player. (Otherwise, GSpot is indispensable for debugging AVI files and should be in everyone's kit) ;-)

~jr
Old August 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rofrano View Post
Just for the record, GSpot only handles AVI files so it will not report the codec in a MOV file.
actually, GSpot has had an update to v2.7 which now includes MOV and WMV support... i tried it using a PhotoJPEG and MPEG-4 QuickTime; read them no problem.

tho it also says QT support isn't "fully complete" yet, so it may not work with the file Jim's having problems with... and yeh, definitely doing the CTRL-I thing is the best 1st step with a QuickTime codec issue.
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Sponsor: VASST

Ahhh... I had tried the new GSpot but I didn't like it. I felt it actually gave me less information than before so I switched back. I forgot I was using the old version.

~jr
Old August 10th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #7

Be sure you installed the Authoring components for quicktime (it's default, now, but didn't used to be that way).
Not that it affects QT files much, but be sure you're ignoring 3rd party codecs, too.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...