Viva la vegas - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 26th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #16
Major Player

My 'Drugs' are in this order for these applications....

Straight editing of video/mild effects/color correction
1) Vegas Pro 8.0c - soon to move to 8.1 64bit
2) Premier Pro CS4 - just got it but it seems clunky to use compared to the ease of editing in Vegas however it can create codecs like .flv and .f4v not included in Vegas.
3) Any other NLE....I only have so much money and being in the boonies of Canada don't have access to other systems although Final Cut Pro comes up from time to time and I should really see what it's all about.

Advanced Effects/Compositing
1) After Effects CS4 - simply jaw dropping abilities within this software for CGI, compositing and advanced effects
2) Vegas Pro 8.0c - can achieve some pretty complex results with it as well but not on par with After Effects
3) Interested in Maya and 3d Studio Max but having tried Max I was put of by what seemed like an insane learning curve for even relatively simple 3d work

DVD Authoring
1) Adobe Encore CS4/Photoshop CS4 - very well integrated and can create completely customizable menus from the ground up
2) DVD Architect - have been using it for years and it is reliable and simple
3) Sonic - used to use this software but have not in the past 3 years as DVD architect had far more control over the final product.

Audio Editing/Music Recording
1) Steinberg Nuendo - excellent multitrack recording software. Usually don't work with the video within this application but strictly create stock music to integrate into other workflows.
2) Sony Acid - good workflow for creating music and sound effects synced to video.
3) Vegas Pro 8.0c/Cinescore - as an all in one solution it is the best editor I have worked with for audio work set to video. Can't use it as much for music creation beyond what Cinescore allows for but to put it all together with video it could easily be at the top of the list.
4) Premier Pro CS4 - don't know yet....just recieved my Production suite last week from Adobe and have only started to scratch the surface of what might be atainable....with the possibility of integration with Adobe Soundbooth this may actually be a better solution than Vegas but I have much to learn before jumping to conclusions.

Apres Work
1) Jack Daniels and coca-cola
2) Jack Daniels on the rocks
3) Pol Roger champagne

:)

All the best,
James Hooey

Last edited by James Hooey; October 26th, 2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added info
James Hooey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...