DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Migrating Vegas App to a Different Drive Letter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/138200-migrating-vegas-app-different-drive-letter.html)

Tom Roper November 21st, 2008 02:01 PM

Migrating Vegas App to a Different Drive Letter?

Vegas Pro 8.0(c) is installed on my portable USB hard drive connected to my laptop. It works fine, but I would like to migrate it to the laptop's internal hard drive.

What's the best way to do this?

If I uninstall it, and reinstall it will I have registration key problems?

Mike Gunter November 21st, 2008 04:33 PM

Hi,

You might have to make a call to Sony Media, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Mike

Ian Stark November 21st, 2008 04:41 PM

I think you have a number of re-installation attempts allowed. I may have read as many as five but wouldn't swear to that. You will have to reinstall any third party plugins as well, and they may have different licensing rules.

Seth Bloombaum November 21st, 2008 05:02 PM

Just install to your internal drive; there is no migration path (because of numerous registry entries). If you ever do run into activation problems, other peoples' experience has shown that sony customer service is very responsive to this issue.

Edward Troxel November 21st, 2008 05:41 PM

I agree, just uninstall and reinstall. That will be the easiest way. When installing, you may have to tell it to use the internal drive!

Jason Robinson November 21st, 2008 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Stark (Post 967117)
I think you have a number of re-installation attempts allowed. I may have read as many as five but wouldn't swear to that. You will have to reinstall any third party plugins as well, and they may have different licensing rules.

I've blown through my registration attempt quota several times because I reimage my machines about every 3-4 months (not by choice.... I just have one that is crashign a lot now with hard drive errors). just give them a call, verify that you are the guy that initially registered that serial, and off you go.

Tom Roper November 22nd, 2008 12:30 AM

There were a couple of hiccups.

After I uninstalled/reinstalled, Vegas would not load past the splash screen unless the USB drive (F) was connected. There were some components left behind on the F drive after the uninstall. Fortunately I didn't delete them right away. More on that later.

I made a second attempt to uninstall/reinstall, this time with F disconnected. The uninstall utility would not work unless it saw the F drive. I reconnected the F drive so that it would uninstall, then disconnected it before the reinstall.

Vegas still would not load past the splash screen, and just hung there. Ctrl-Alt-Del brought up the task manager. It showed the running processes in order as Vegas, and Warning. I clicked on warning, and a popup appeared saying, "Path to the F project folder not found. Do you want to move to Favorites?"

The popup was hidden by the splash screen (which was locked) until invoking the task manager. Clicking on "no" cleared the way for Vegas to load thereafter.

Each time I reinstalled, I did have to re-enter the serial number, and log online to register. Had to do the same for DVD Architect.

Anyway, long story short all seems to be working fine.

Thank you all for the help. I really appreciate it!

Tom

Edward Troxel November 22nd, 2008 09:13 AM

For future reference (and I should have mentioned this above), the steps should have been:

1. Uninstall all Sony products
2. Clear the Registry of these Sony products
3. Reinstall in the new location.

I've had the same issue with the splash screen hiding something a few times. It can definitely be frustrating.