Migrating Vegas App to a Different Drive Letter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 21st, 2008, 02:01 PM   #1
Trustee

Migrating Vegas App to a Different Drive Letter?

Vegas Pro 8.0(c) is installed on my portable USB hard drive connected to my laptop. It works fine, but I would like to migrate it to the laptop's internal hard drive.

What's the best way to do this?

If I uninstall it, and reinstall it will I have registration key problems?
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi,

You might have to make a call to Sony Media, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Mike
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I think you have a number of re-installation attempts allowed. I may have read as many as five but wouldn't swear to that. You will have to reinstall any third party plugins as well, and they may have different licensing rules.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Just install to your internal drive; there is no migration path (because of numerous registry entries). If you ever do run into activation problems, other peoples' experience has shown that sony customer service is very responsive to this issue.
Seth Bloombaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

I agree, just uninstall and reinstall. That will be the easiest way. When installing, you may have to tell it to use the internal drive!
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Stark View Post
I think you have a number of re-installation attempts allowed. I may have read as many as five but wouldn't swear to that. You will have to reinstall any third party plugins as well, and they may have different licensing rules.
I've blown through my registration attempt quota several times because I reimage my machines about every 3-4 months (not by choice.... I just have one that is crashign a lot now with hard drive errors). just give them a call, verify that you are the guy that initially registered that serial, and off you go.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:30 AM   #7
Trustee

There were a couple of hiccups.

After I uninstalled/reinstalled, Vegas would not load past the splash screen unless the USB drive (F) was connected. There were some components left behind on the F drive after the uninstall. Fortunately I didn't delete them right away. More on that later.

I made a second attempt to uninstall/reinstall, this time with F disconnected. The uninstall utility would not work unless it saw the F drive. I reconnected the F drive so that it would uninstall, then disconnected it before the reinstall.

Vegas still would not load past the splash screen, and just hung there. Ctrl-Alt-Del brought up the task manager. It showed the running processes in order as Vegas, and Warning. I clicked on warning, and a popup appeared saying, "Path to the F project folder not found. Do you want to move to Favorites?"

The popup was hidden by the splash screen (which was locked) until invoking the task manager. Clicking on "no" cleared the way for Vegas to load thereafter.

Each time I reinstalled, I did have to re-enter the serial number, and log online to register. Had to do the same for DVD Architect.

Anyway, long story short all seems to be working fine.

Thank you all for the help. I really appreciate it!

Tom
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:13 AM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

For future reference (and I should have mentioned this above), the steps should have been:

1. Uninstall all Sony products
2. Clear the Registry of these Sony products
3. Reinstall in the new location.

I've had the same issue with the splash screen hiding something a few times. It can definitely be frustrating.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...