Any Core I7 users yet? - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:09 PM   #151
Inner Circle

Good for what?

Seriously, it depends so much on what you want or need to do with the machine. In my case "good" meant faster fluid simulations and rendering of computer generated animations and large high resolution still images - things that sometimes took a day or more of hard compute on a dual core system. Getting them down to a few hours or overnight was my definition of "good" and it was fairly expensive.

Rendering of video, while compute intensive, tends to be less intensive than the above. But for video, disk speed might be more of an issue than for CGI.

I think if you say more about what it is that you want to do you'll get better answers more tailored to your needs.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 01:03 PM   #152
Inner Circle

I would check out Dell, for starters, Marcus. People are picking up a basic i7 system for under $1000. For some reason I have trouble finding ready access to the i7 prices, but once you find them you can configure or price the system you want.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; February 3rd, 2009 at 02:24 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM   #153
Major Player

Well... in terms of cost... if you are just looking at the bare bones parts...

Motherboard = $200
Memory 6Gb = $145
CPU = $295

So, for $650 or so, you have yourself the core components of what builds a solid i7 based system.

Depending on what you want to spend on power supply, case, hard drive(s), DVD Drive, video card, & monitor(s) - if you need 'em, would dicate the total cost of ownership for one of these beasts...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #154
Regular Crew

I finished putting together an I7 computer and it was the easiest build I have ever done. I was a little disappointed that previewing HD clips from a Canon 5D Mark II in Vegas is still a little choppy, but they play fine using Apple Quick Time and Windows Media Player.

System ended up being a 920 overclocked to 3.7 GHz, 12Gb ram, Vista 64 bit, Vegas 8.1, and the boot drive is a WD 10,000 rpm Velociraptor. I just started getting into editing video and did a few short renders on a 2.9 GHz Core Duo before this computer. It appears to have cut the render times in half for rendering HD 1920x1080p MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 output.

Thanks to all the people commenting in this thread which motivated me to build a new computer.

Andy
Andy Todzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #155
Inner Circle

dale guthormsen

How do i over clock my I7? I would like to knock it from 2.66 to 3 gigs.

thank you.

Have a great day.
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM   #156
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
How do i over clock my I7? I would like to knock it from 2.66 to 3 gigs.

thank you.

Have a great day.
Dale,

This is not franlkly the easiest place to answer this question and probably not the forum suitable for it either however I would recommend going to AnandTech: your source for hardware analysis and news or Tom's Hardware: Hardware News, Tests and Reviews and look in their member forums where you'll find oodles of information regarding overclocking the i7. Also a google search of "overclocking an i7" turns up some usefull information as well. Provided you have adequate cooling and are familiar with BIOS settings, overclocking can be as simple as a few quick changes...

I am not typically an overclocker as I've always said I'd rather have a stable than fast system, but moving from 2.66 to 3.0Ghz is such a modest overclock and given the reports of others who are going far more than the 3.0Ghz speed I felt it made some sense and I don't regret this at all.

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #157
Inner Circle

Dale, if I'm not mistaken you have a Dell. Unfortunately you cannot overclock your model. I thought we discussed this but I might be wrong. Even the Dells that are overclockable are done at the factory, but yours is not configurable that way.
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #158
Inner Circle

Jeff,

Thats right, I do. I do remember someone mentioning not being able to over clock them; however, there is always someone that figures how to beat those things.

Thanks for the site too!!!

I am ok with how it runs as it is.
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #159
Inner Circle

DIY'ers, tell me what i7 board your using. I'm looking at most all of them, and reports are very mixed, even with the ASUS P6.

I having a devil of a time selecting one.
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #160
Trustee

Here are some reviews Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P DDR2 P45 Motherboard | GA-X48T-DQ6,Motherboard,X48,Gigabyte,LGA775,x48 express,Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6,DDR3,Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 Ultra Durable 2 DES Intel X48 Socket LGA775 Socket T Hardware Enthusiasts and Overclocker Motherboard
I like the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P board. The construction seems top-notch and good price/performance ratio when compared to other comparible boards.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #161
Inner Circle

Thanks Mark. I like the UD5 on paper and the EVGA. The EVGA i7 is among the highest rated i7 board on Newegg, definitely higher than most of the ASUS or Gigabytes...but all of them have shockingly high DOA rates.
Old February 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #162
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
DIY'ers, tell me what i7 board your using. I'm looking at most all of them, and reports are very mixed, even with the ASUS P6.

I having a devil of a time selecting one.
I built mine on a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 and it's been rock solid three weeks later I built another i7 for a friend with a gigabyte and his has been solid too.

Normally, I have always built with ASUS boards but when I was building mine I looked at the 1366 boards and the gigabyte had a lot more onboard SATA and I wanted to have a lot of drives in a couple RAIDs
Ken Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #163
Major Player

Ken- I was just reading up on the board you listed, that looks awesome. Are you running the air or water cooled version? What is you experience with it in regards to set-up ease and stability? Are you using the RAID features? I am not an overclocker, but am looking to build my own in the near future.
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #164
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
Ken- I was just reading up on the board you listed, that looks awesome. Are you running the air or water cooled version? What is you experience with it in regards to set-up ease and stability? Are you using the RAID features? I am not an overclocker, but am looking to build my own in the near future.
I bought the air cooled version but I put a giant Noctua NH-U12P with a pusher and a puller fan then made a duct with another puller on the case (overkill). Drivewise, I currently have a 1 TB formatted into 4 partitions for the OS's:
XP pro with my day to day programs
XP pro with only my editors
Vista 64bit with only my editors
Empty one for future proofing (I'm debating trying windows 7 64bit beta).

I use a RAID 1+0 (using the onboard controller) with four 750gb drives I picked up on sale cheap for my editing files and I have a 1TB drive I use for storage (music and files). Everything worked out fine though the driver disc has two options: install individually or install all; install individually because some of the install stuff is junk. It's a nice board my only concern would be if you have small case the SATA headers lay flat so if your case was tight it might be hard to get them in if the HDD bays were real close.
Ken Steadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #165
Inner Circle

Asus finally released V2 of their board, I might go with that one, newegg listed it yesterday.

I like Gigabyte, but the random reports of the onboard LAN issues bugs me. I don't know, I've got a week to decide.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...