Keyboard shortcuts from Trimmer. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 30th, 2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Trustee

Keyboard shortcuts from Trimmer.

I'm used to using the keyboard to mark in/out points in the Source monitor (Trimmer with Vegas I guess) and using whichever letter on the keyboard to place the selected area on the timeline: dot with Premiere. B with Avid and A with Vegas etc.
What has been happening with me in Vegas is that unless the selected area in the trimmer is highlighted blue, I can't guarantee that the selected area is moved to the timeline. Just using I/O doesn't bring up the highlight, I need to actually click on the clip in the trimmer window first. I guess I'm overlooking something simple here - any suggestions?
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

If you have the "Collapse loop region" option turned on in the preferences, the "i" and "o" keys don't work properly. I, personally, very seldom use the trimmer. When I do, I tend to just add a marker at the beginning and end points. Then I can select the area between the markers and move that down to the timeline.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
I tend to just add a marker at the beginning and end points. Then I can select the area between the markers and move that down to the timeline.
Thanks Edward.
How do you select the area - by clicking on it?
I can do that ok, it's just that with other NLEs, the selection is done just by using I/O and not having to go to a third operation.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

The only time that "I" and "O" have not worked in the trimmer for me is when I have the "Collapse Loop Region" option turned on.

I was able to do it all from the keyboard, though, I pressed "M" at the beginning point. Then stop the playback at the ending point and do a CTRL-SHIFT-Left arrow and it will select everything from the ending point back to the beginning marker.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Trustee

Just been playing around with things and the best way of working - for me - now seems to use the "I" key to set the in point, use the space bar to stop the clip where I choose, THEN press the "O" key which then selects the required area and it turns blue in the trimmer window, finally pressing A moves it to the timeline.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...