DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Chapters too close warning - what does this mean overall? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/138718-chapters-too-close-warning-what-does-mean-overall.html)

David Delaney November 30th, 2008 06:47 PM

Chapters too close warning - what does this mean overall?

I don't know why but I am getting 'chapters too close' even though my chapters are about 1 minute to 3 minutes apart. Is this going to affect the viewing of the DVD? I haven't set chapters in DVD arch - I did put them into Vegas when I was rendering, and when I go to prepare I get this error. Any ideas?

Douglas Spotted Eagle December 1st, 2008 01:29 AM

It would suggest your chapter markers are less than 1 minute apart. Are you sure you don't have one too close? Open the media in DVD A timeline, you should be able to zoom in and find the offending marker.

Graham Bernard December 1st, 2008 03:33 AM

Huh! I didn't know there was a minimum for Chapter Makers. So I read the online help for DVDA5 and it says that:"Chapter Markers must be one second apart".

And in another note it says "You can create markers that are less than one second apart by importing markers or by moving a movie's in/out points too close to a marker".

On this basis I would be double checking to see if markers have gotten to less than 1 second spacing. And this might have occurred at your Vegas timeline level OR you have the ins and outs too "tight" OR you have 2 markers that appear as ONE marker! - Having read the Help, most likely you have 2 or markers appearing as one - yeah? It would be unlikely you would "purposefully" force for a Chapter in the less than 1 range? Would you?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention - at least it forced me to read the online help.

Grazie

Jason Robinson December 1st, 2008 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Delaney (Post 970839)
I don't know why but I am getting 'chapters too close' even though my chapters are about 1 minute to 3 minutes apart. Is this going to affect the viewing of the DVD? I haven't set chapters in DVD arch - I did put them into Vegas when I was rendering, and when I go to prepare I get this error. Any ideas?

I had this happen to me once. Because a MPEG I rendered in Vegas had a chapter point just inside the render region, and because DVDA puts a chapter at the very start of the timeline for a media.

Try deleting the chapter point at the beginning of the media and you will probably find another chapter point "hidden" under it at either the same point, or nearly the same point.

David Delaney December 1st, 2008 05:22 PM

Are there any adverse effects to this? I don't care about the warning as long as it doesn't affect my outputed DVD.

Don Bloom December 1st, 2008 05:45 PM

I've gotten that warning a few times even though the markers are more than 1 second apart. On the rare times it is 1 second or slightly less the warning shows but there hasn't been any problem burning the DVD nir any problem with it playing.

Don

Jason Robinson December 1st, 2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Delaney (Post 971369)
Are there any adverse effects to this? I don't care about the warning as long as it doesn't affect my outputed DVD.

it wasn't a warning. it was an error. DVDA will not proceed with an error. So I jsut went back and moved one of the chapters a few seconds forwards on the time line. problem solved.

David Delaney December 1st, 2008 07:16 PM

It was just a warning for me - so I am going to just burn and hope for the best.