Chapters too close warning - what does this mean overall? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 30th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Trustee

Chapters too close warning - what does this mean overall?

I don't know why but I am getting 'chapters too close' even though my chapters are about 1 minute to 3 minutes apart. Is this going to affect the viewing of the DVD? I haven't set chapters in DVD arch - I did put them into Vegas when I was rendering, and when I go to prepare I get this error. Any ideas?
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:29 AM   #2

It would suggest your chapter markers are less than 1 minute apart. Are you sure you don't have one too close? Open the media in DVD A timeline, you should be able to zoom in and find the offending marker.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 03:33 AM   #3
Old Boot

Huh! I didn't know there was a minimum for Chapter Makers. So I read the online help for DVDA5 and it says that:"Chapter Markers must be one second apart".

And in another note it says "You can create markers that are less than one second apart by importing markers or by moving a movie's in/out points too close to a marker".

On this basis I would be double checking to see if markers have gotten to less than 1 second spacing. And this might have occurred at your Vegas timeline level OR you have the ins and outs too "tight" OR you have 2 markers that appear as ONE marker! - Having read the Help, most likely you have 2 or markers appearing as one - yeah? It would be unlikely you would "purposefully" force for a Chapter in the less than 1 range? Would you?

Thanks for bringing this to my attention - at least it forced me to read the online help.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:57 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney View Post
I don't know why but I am getting 'chapters too close' even though my chapters are about 1 minute to 3 minutes apart. Is this going to affect the viewing of the DVD? I haven't set chapters in DVD arch - I did put them into Vegas when I was rendering, and when I go to prepare I get this error. Any ideas?
I had this happen to me once. Because a MPEG I rendered in Vegas had a chapter point just inside the render region, and because DVDA puts a chapter at the very start of the timeline for a media.

Try deleting the chapter point at the beginning of the media and you will probably find another chapter point "hidden" under it at either the same point, or nearly the same point.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM   #5
Trustee

Are there any adverse effects to this? I don't care about the warning as long as it doesn't affect my outputed DVD.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I've gotten that warning a few times even though the markers are more than 1 second apart. On the rare times it is 1 second or slightly less the warning shows but there hasn't been any problem burning the DVD nir any problem with it playing.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Delaney View Post
Are there any adverse effects to this? I don't care about the warning as long as it doesn't affect my outputed DVD.
it wasn't a warning. it was an error. DVDA will not proceed with an error. So I jsut went back and moved one of the chapters a few seconds forwards on the time line. problem solved.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Trustee

It was just a warning for me - so I am going to just burn and hope for the best.
David Delaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...