Clip Greif at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Clip Greif

When I open a .veg file that was created on another computer (all .m2t files are present on this computer) the file requests that I point it to each of over 400 .m2t files individually. This happens despite the fact that the target it's looking for is accurate as far as file name and path.

While I did move the .veg and all .m2t files from the other computer to this one, I kept the structure perfectly in tact and references seem to be looking in the correct location, but vegas wants me to point to all of them again anyway.

Help!
Jonathan Gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Can you not use the option to let Vegas find the files (search for missing files)?
Old December 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Vegas see's it as being moved. When the menu comes up to search for the clips - go to that location and highlight all of the clips being used then sit back and wait while Vegas brings them back in. Yeah it's a PITA but I don't know any other way to do it.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Gentry View Post
When I open a .veg file that was created on another computer (all .m2t files are present on this computer) the file requests that I point it to each of over 400 .m2t files individually. This happens despite the fact that the target it's looking for is accurate as far as file name and path.

While I did move the .veg and all .m2t files from the other computer to this one, I kept the structure perfectly in tact and references seem to be looking in the correct location, but vegas wants me to point to all of them again anyway.

Help!
this happens to me every time I move my videos from archive to working drives. Nothing to do but what Don referenced. THe first file it asks for, I use the option o point to which file it needs, and then Vegas automatically fills in (or attempts to) the paths for the rest of the media.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #5
Regular Crew

OK.. the first several clips it asks for are not part of the actual timeline and are not needed. So I can't point to them. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
this happens to me every time I move my videos from archive to working drives. Nothing to do but what Don referenced. THe first file it asks for, I use the option o point to which file it needs, and then Vegas automatically fills in (or attempts to) the paths for the rest of the media.
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Gentry View Post
OK.. the first several clips it asks for are not part of the actual timeline and are not needed. So I can't point to them. Now what?
if you know they aren't needed, just individually ignore just the files you know you don't need, till you see a request fora file that you do need. then point to the new location.

once you are able to load up the project, go to the project media tab and view all media. then sort by name. either at the top or bottom of the list will be a bunch of "grayed out" media references. these are all the clips that are not found. select them all and right mouse click and choose the "Remove from project" option if these media are actually not used.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #7
Regular Crew

My descrition has been lacking.

I see the Opening project bar (bottom right) go to 55% then it stops. After a minute it shoots to 100%.
I then get a request for location of sevaral .wma files which are not needed or on my computer. I select Ignore and leave offline.
Next I get a slightly different window and a request to specify the location of a replacement file. There are alot of .m2t files (about 400 of them) and despite the fact that they are all in the path shown at the top of the of the request box I am asked to specify a replacement for each. I do so but am repeatedly asked for the next 400 files. Needless to say I have not pointed to 400 files due to time.

If at any point I select "Ignore error and leave media file offline" I then get an error "Sony File Interface Surrogate (not visible) has stopped working." A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

I wonder if this has to do with Vista permissions or something like that.

I'm using Vegas 8.1.
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

If the files are NOT part of the timeline, after opening the project (ignoring the missing files) go to the Project Media tab and tell it to remove all items that are not part of the project. The button is on the left side and looks like a lightening bolt.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:14 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I want to thank you sir! I did that and then pointed the first file this time and yes to all and all media was found. Now it's building peaks. The lightning bolt did the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
If the files are NOT part of the timeline, after opening the project (ignoring the missing files) go to the Project Media tab and tell it to remove all items that are not part of the project. The button is on the left side and looks like a lightening bolt.
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #10
Sponsor: JET DV

Any time you add anything to the project, it's also placed in the project media. If you then remove it from the timeline, it remains in the Project Media. Sounds like you did that to a BUNCH of files.

If it can't find any file in the Project Media, it will then look for that file. It doesn't care whether or not the file is actually used - just that the file is in the Project Media. By cleaning out the Project Media, it will no longer look for missing files that are NOT a part of the timeline.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...