DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Hmm what happened (CPU Usage at ~5%) ... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/142915-hmm-what-happened-cpu-usage-5-a.html)

Joe Busch February 2nd, 2009 03:08 PM

Hmm what happened (CPU Usage at ~5%) ...

So I reformatted, reinstalled Vegas 8.1 on Vista 64bit with 8GB Ram and Q6600 @ 3.0ghz

Before when I rendered uncompressed .avi files, I would get 100% CPU Usage and a lot of ram usage... which was good, files rendered fast and it worked well. As seen here

Now for some reason I get ridiculously slow render times and my CPU Usage is 3-5% which is silly.

Any ideas? I've tried maximum rendering threads at 4/8/16 and Dynamic Ram at 0mb, 1024, 3076...

I don't know what setting I had, but something is changed somewhere and it's making a big difference.

Andy Tejral February 2nd, 2009 04:56 PM

How is yr disk speed?

Joe Busch February 2nd, 2009 10:31 PM

Heh, nothing has changed except I reformatted my system and re-installed Windows and Vegas 8.1...

=/

Ian Stark February 3rd, 2009 06:23 AM

Joe, are you comparing like for like renders?

The image shows that before the rebuild you were rendering from avi to avi with no effects (that I can see). Is the post-reinstall render test rendering the same clip with no effects or any other changes?

I just did a little test on a roughly similar length clip with no effects and, as no recompression was required, it put very little strain on the processor (<5%). I added a couple of effects to the clip and I was up to around 50% straight away (still rendering from avi to avi). I'm interested to know what settings you had that gave you 100% CPU on a clip that needed no recompression (assuming you want 100%, that is).

I am running Vegas 8.0c on a Q6700 with 4Gb (only 3 seen by the OS) under XP SP2, so there are other differences to take into account, but this might be a good thing to eliminate from the issue.

Joe Busch February 4th, 2009 02:22 AM

It was .m2t to .avi.. the first clip is a time-lapse, so took about 90 minutes for that small section...

And this project has many effects, it's the same project I used before, same section, I would render it out in uncompressed .avi before and it would do it relatively fast and use 100% cpu.

Now it wants to take 2 hours to render a 4 minute segment and uses 3-5% of my CPU.

So I'm just trying to figure out what setting I flipped wrong... or something...

Or if anyone knows where the settings are stored for Vegas, I have backups before I reformatted I can grab stuff off of :)

Ian Stark February 4th, 2009 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Busch (Post 1006302)
It was .m2t to .avi.. the first clip is a time-lapse, so took about 90 minutes for that small section...

And this project has many effects, it's the same project I used before, same section, I would render it out in uncompressed .avi before and it would do it relatively fast and use 100% cpu.

Now it wants to take 2 hours to render a 4 minute segment and uses 3-5% of my CPU.

So I'm just trying to figure out what setting I flipped wrong... or something...

Or if anyone knows where the settings are stored for Vegas, I have backups before I reformatted I can grab stuff off of :)

OK, sorry, the screenshot you attached shows a roughly 90 second clip being rendered with no effects in use (unless you've applied them at media level) so I was basing my comments on that.

Joe Busch February 4th, 2009 03:12 AM

Oh I understand, I just had that picture as a reference to show CPU/Ram usage while rendering.

It's just weird that it's acting funny after the reinstall, but I never remember doing anything special before.

Joe Busch February 5th, 2009 01:39 AM

figured it out for anyone who cares... :)

How to use the throttling mechanism to control network performance in Windows Vista

I remember doing this tweak before, but just forgot about it... FFFFFFFF to disable the throttling...

Now I'm seeing usage between 25-100% depending on what's happening in the scene (which makes sense) I'm just glad it isn't at 2-4% and messin stuff up

Went from rendering a 4 minute segment in about 30 minutes to rendering it in real-time 4:06 long, took 4:07 to render...

Edward Troxel February 5th, 2009 07:28 AM

Joe, thanks for reporting what the final solution was.

Jason Robinson February 26th, 2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Busch (Post 1006861)
figured it out for anyone who cares... :)

How to use the throttling mechanism to control network performance in Windows Vista

I remember doing this tweak before, but just forgot about it... FFFFFFFF to disable the throttling...

Now I'm seeing usage between 25-100% depending on what's happening in the scene (which makes sense) I'm just glad it isn't at 2-4% and messin stuff up

Went from rendering a 4 minute segment in about 30 minutes to rendering it in real-time 4:06 long, took 4:07 to render...

Why on earth would modifying your network throttle affect a Vegas render?

Steve Renouf February 26th, 2009 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 1018682)

A M$ quirk - sorry, "feature"?

Michael Hutson February 26th, 2009 09:15 AM

Would this apply to xp as well?

Joe Busch February 27th, 2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Robinson (Post 1018682)

Because all my raw footage was stored on a server connected through gigabit? And the network throttling is specifically related to media type files.

Anyways, it's lame that MS does that, but atleast they offer a way to turn it off. I just didn't remember to do that tweak, or thought I had already done it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Hutson (Post 1018830)
Would this apply to xp as well?

Nope, only Vista...