Hmm what happened (CPU Usage at ~5%) ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Major Player

Hmm what happened (CPU Usage at ~5%) ...

So I reformatted, reinstalled Vegas 8.1 on Vista 64bit with 8GB Ram and Q6600 @ 3.0ghz

Before when I rendered uncompressed .avi files, I would get 100% CPU Usage and a lot of ram usage... which was good, files rendered fast and it worked well. As seen here

Now for some reason I get ridiculously slow render times and my CPU Usage is 3-5% which is silly.

Any ideas? I've tried maximum rendering threads at 4/8/16 and Dynamic Ram at 0mb, 1024, 3076...

I don't know what setting I had, but something is changed somewhere and it's making a big difference.
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Major Player

How is yr disk speed?
Old February 2nd, 2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Heh, nothing has changed except I reformatted my system and re-installed Windows and Vegas 8.1...

=/
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:23 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Joe, are you comparing like for like renders?

The image shows that before the rebuild you were rendering from avi to avi with no effects (that I can see). Is the post-reinstall render test rendering the same clip with no effects or any other changes?

I just did a little test on a roughly similar length clip with no effects and, as no recompression was required, it put very little strain on the processor (<5%). I added a couple of effects to the clip and I was up to around 50% straight away (still rendering from avi to avi). I'm interested to know what settings you had that gave you 100% CPU on a clip that needed no recompression (assuming you want 100%, that is).

I am running Vegas 8.0c on a Q6700 with 4Gb (only 3 seen by the OS) under XP SP2, so there are other differences to take into account, but this might be a good thing to eliminate from the issue.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:22 AM   #5
Major Player

It was .m2t to .avi.. the first clip is a time-lapse, so took about 90 minutes for that small section...

And this project has many effects, it's the same project I used before, same section, I would render it out in uncompressed .avi before and it would do it relatively fast and use 100% cpu.

Now it wants to take 2 hours to render a 4 minute segment and uses 3-5% of my CPU.

So I'm just trying to figure out what setting I flipped wrong... or something...

Or if anyone knows where the settings are stored for Vegas, I have backups before I reformatted I can grab stuff off of :)
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Busch View Post
It was .m2t to .avi.. the first clip is a time-lapse, so took about 90 minutes for that small section...

And this project has many effects, it's the same project I used before, same section, I would render it out in uncompressed .avi before and it would do it relatively fast and use 100% cpu.

Now it wants to take 2 hours to render a 4 minute segment and uses 3-5% of my CPU.

So I'm just trying to figure out what setting I flipped wrong... or something...

Or if anyone knows where the settings are stored for Vegas, I have backups before I reformatted I can grab stuff off of :)
OK, sorry, the screenshot you attached shows a roughly 90 second clip being rendered with no effects in use (unless you've applied them at media level) so I was basing my comments on that.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #7
Major Player

Oh I understand, I just had that picture as a reference to show CPU/Ram usage while rendering.

It's just weird that it's acting funny after the reinstall, but I never remember doing anything special before.
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #8
Major Player

figured it out for anyone who cares... :)

How to use the throttling mechanism to control network performance in Windows Vista

I remember doing this tweak before, but just forgot about it... FFFFFFFF to disable the throttling...

Now I'm seeing usage between 25-100% depending on what's happening in the scene (which makes sense) I'm just glad it isn't at 2-4% and messin stuff up

Went from rendering a 4 minute segment in about 30 minutes to rendering it in real-time 4:06 long, took 4:07 to render...
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

Joe, thanks for reporting what the final solution was.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Busch View Post
figured it out for anyone who cares... :)

How to use the throttling mechanism to control network performance in Windows Vista

I remember doing this tweak before, but just forgot about it... FFFFFFFF to disable the throttling...

Now I'm seeing usage between 25-100% depending on what's happening in the scene (which makes sense) I'm just glad it isn't at 2-4% and messin stuff up

Went from rendering a 4 minute segment in about 30 minutes to rendering it in real-time 4:06 long, took 4:07 to render...
Why on earth would modifying your network throttle affect a Vegas render?
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
A M$ quirk - sorry, "feature"?
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #12
Major Player

Would this apply to xp as well?
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
Because all my raw footage was stored on a server connected through gigabit? And the network throttling is specifically related to media type files.

Anyways, it's lame that MS does that, but atleast they offer a way to turn it off. I just didn't remember to do that tweak, or thought I had already done it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hutson View Post
Would this apply to xp as well?
Nope, only Vista...
Joe Busch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...