Rotoscoping in Vegas 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:22 PM   #1
New Boot

Rotoscoping in Vegas 9

Is the Pro version the only one that supports rotoscoping?

...and is there a better recommendation than Vegas?
Jeb Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Vegas does not do rotoscoping - no matter what version you have. You might try Boris which will work as a plugin for Vegas. Or you could try After Effects and see if either of these do what you need.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:46 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Vegas does not do rotoscoping - no matter what version you have. You might try Boris which will work as a plugin for Vegas. Or you could try After Effects and see if either of these do what you need.
I did find a tutorial for Rotoscoping in Vegas,
YouTube - Sony Vegas Tutorial - Rotoscoping
but it looks more like a workaround, and I couldnt sit through the whole thing because the instructor didnt particularly impress me.
Vegas is one of the software packages im looking at and it would be nice to be able to handle this effect even if I have to take a few extra steps (and call it something else).
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #4

Ok... maybe a better way of phrasing it is that it doesn't have any built-in tools designed to do this. If you want to do things manually, there are LOTS of things that can be done. If you're only doing a very little, you can work around it. If you're going to be doing lots of it, I'd look for a program with built-in tools to do this.
Old February 24th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
If you want to do things manually, there are LOTS of things that can be done. If you're only doing a very little, you can work around it. If you're going to be doing lots of it, I'd look for a program with built-in tools to do this.
I fall into the occasional category, so I can live with that.
Does Vegas Platinum allow you to create masks that could be used to create a Rotoscope-like effect, or is masking a "Pro" feature?
Im open to any suggestions, thanks.
Old February 24th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #6

You will have many more options with the Pro version. A couple things only in the pro version that could help:

1. Bezier Masking in the Pan/Crop tool
2. 3D Track Motion
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
You will have many more options with the Pro version. A couple things only in the pro version that could help:

1. Bezier Masking in the Pan/Crop tool
2. 3D Track Motion
Platimum doesnt have masking?
I had been using Ulead's Media Studio Pro (which is comparable pricewise to SV-Platinum) and those options have been available in their consumer versions, so im surprised Vegas would be holding out.
Old February 25th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #8

I don't believe the movie studio versions have Bezier Masks in Pan/Crop. It does have the means of doing masking - just not that particular tool. There are some definite advantages to going with the pro version.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...