Frame drops when pulling to 2nd HD. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 24th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #16
Major Player

I have continuous video on my tapes (live concerts). I left the settings alone and Vegas split it at the 655MB mark (roughly a 74 minute CD).

So I guess what you're saying is that it isn't neccessary. I'm running Win2K on NTFS so the 2G limit isn't an issue.

Thanks,
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #17
Major Player

That's outside my experience, Kevin. I've never captured a stream that large. Maybe someone else can weight in.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #18
Sponsor: JET DV

I do NOT let Vegas Capture break my clips unless *I* want them broken. When I capture normally, I capture in one great big clip. If, for some reason I want it broken on scenes, I'll turn on that option but usually have it off. In fact, I usually use batch capture. Personally, I would NOT have vidcap automatically split at CD size increments.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #19
Major Player

Okay... fair enough. I thought it odd that it had defaulted to that size. Since there's no benefit to that setting, I'll uncheck it.

Thanks for everyone's help,
Kevin
Old February 24th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #20

That setting should not have been on by default. However, there may be other settings you DO want to change. Take a look at the setting info in the first few issues of the Tips, Tricks, and Scripts Newsletter
Old February 26th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #21
Major Player

The odd thing is that when I turned it off I got frame drops again. I threw a different hard drive in (7200rpm 160Gig) and have now pulled two tapes without issue. I'm thinking that the IBM drive was partially to blame.
Old February 26th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #22

Or misconfigured and therefore having to run more slowly. Maybe the Master/Slave/Cable Select jumber was in the wrong place on the first drive and the second one has it in the correct place?
Old February 26th, 2004, 02:02 PM   #23
Major Player

No... the settings were the same. I put this new drive in the same place on the chain set the same way. Master on the secondary IDE channel. They were both using DMA.

The IBM is an older drive with a smaller cache and only 5400 rpm. I'm not sure what it was, but it's working now.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...