Frame drops when pulling to 2nd HD. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 18th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Frame drops when pulling to 2nd HD.

I haven't cracked my case open to see for sure, but when I pull from my GL2 to my 2nd hard drive (which is defragmented and has plenty of space) I get frame drops after a few minutes.

Would the most likely reason for this be performance on that drive? I'm not sure if it's a 5400 or 7200 rpm drive. I just grabbed it from a machine that was lying around. Must I have a 7200 rpm drive to get results from Vegas?

I'm running Win2k Pro and have 512MB RAM. If I pull clips to the 1st drive it's fine but I've only got a few gigs free on that drive.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

Not all 5400 rpm drives (especially the older ones) can handle the
load indeed. But that doesn't have to be the case. It all depends
on the drive. Do you have DMA turned on with that drive? (not
always the case if you add a "new" one). Is there any other
device on the cable that runs from the motherboard to the drive?
If so, it might not be able to run at full speed.

What does your bios say about the drive when your system boots
(ie, (U)DMA, PIO etc.)?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:27 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

Sounds like a system configuration error. I would check the DMA setting for that drive first. Rob gives you many good suggestions.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2004, 11:58 AM   #4
Major Player

Okay... sorry for the delay, I was visiting the sun in Myrtle.

On boot for the second drive I see:

LBA, ATA66, 20526MB, S.M.A.R.T. disabled. Nothing denoting DMA or PIO stuff. I'll have to jump into the bios and see what I see.

Does it matter that Vegas is installed on the other drive and I'm pulling the video to this one?
Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:42 PM   #5

It doesn't really matter which drive Vegas is installed on. Generally speaking, it should be installed on the system drive.

The DMA setting is in the Device Manager. Depending on the OS you either have to look at the controller card OR the hard drive. Look at both places and verify DMA is on.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:36 PM   #6
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : The DMA setting is in the Device Manager. Depending on the OS you either have to look at the controller card OR the hard drive. Look at both places and verify DMA is on. -->>>

I'm on Win2kPro. In the device manager when I bring the properties of the IBM drive up the only configurable switch I see is Write Cache which is currently enabled.

I also looked at the Disk Manager and don't see DMA options listed. I'm going to reboot right now and see what's to see in the bios. I forgot to do it this time :)

Be right back...
Old February 22nd, 2004, 10:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Okay... I'm a moron.. and to top it off, I got my start as a tech. Now I'm a net admin so I guess the details of systems poored out of my head.

Anyhow, upon looking at the primary channel of the IDE controller for the secondary device on the Advanced tab I see:

Device type: Auto Detection
Transfer Mode: DMA if avail
Current Mode: Ultra DMA Mode

So this is a strange deal. Should I switch it to PIO? Are there any tweaks within Vegas that might help?

And to answer Rob's earlier question this is the 2nd drive on the primary IDE channel. The other device being the system drive.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old February 23rd, 2004, 12:02 AM   #8
Inner Circle

PIO mode is craptacular. Avoid it at all costs.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:20 AM   #9

NO, LEAVE it on DMA. However, that rules that out from being the problem. Frequently, the DMA issue IS the problem. In your case, it appears to go deeper. Now you'll have to determine what other system pieces may be slowing you down. Unfortunately, there's a wide variety of things that could cause that.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 09:49 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
And to answer Rob's earlier question this is the 2nd drive on the primary IDE channel. The other device being the system drive.
For optimum results, you should not have your capture drive on the same channel with your system drive. Move it to the 2nd IDE channel. Generally what I have found is 1st IDE channel: System drive is master, DVD-rom is slave. 2nd IDE channel: Capture drive is master, DVD-writer is slave.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 09:51 AM   #11
Major Player

Thanks Guy... I'll try this tonight.
Old February 24th, 2004, 10:56 AM   #12
Major Player

Thanks alot! That seems to have solved the problem. I pulled a full tape last night with zero drops.
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #13
Major Player

Kevin,
That's great. Glad it worked out for you. Now, going forward, keep the capture drive as empty and defragmented as possible or it will slow down and you'll drop frames again.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:04 AM   #14
Major Player

Will do, Guy. Hey, do you let Vegas cut the incoming fed clips to the CD-ROM margin? I didn't notice that I hadn't unchecked that and am wondering if it's a good idea just for the sake of an error happening when I'm not watching.

I'm assuming that there's no frame loss at the cut point and that clipping them together in a prject is easy. Do any of you allow it to gut at any point? If so, why?

Thanks!

-Kevin
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Hey, do you let Vegas cut the incoming fed clips to the CD-ROM margin?
I'm not sure what you mean here, Kevin. Generally, I let Vegas detect clips automatically. If you have a continuous stream, you can break it up by time or capture it fully then later split it up on the timeline. If you are referring to the Windows FAT32 file size limit, I use XP so don't have to worry about it. However, Vegas should split the file without dropping frames.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...