DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas .avi ugliness. What am I doing wrong (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/229379-vegas-avi-ugliness-what-am-i-doing-wrong.html)

Roger Shealy April 23rd, 2009 05:46 AM

Vegas .avi ugliness. What am I doing wrong

1 Attachment(s)
I'm working on a project where I shot in 30F (XHA1) and it renders great to wmv. I have similar examples in 24F as well. I was wanting to render to avi to xfer to another system so I rendered to HDV 720-30P intermediate (or HDV 1080-24P intermediate), and I get speckled, streaked images (see attachment). How do I avoid this and get a lossless image to xfer in Vegas?

Roger Shealy April 29th, 2009 04:41 AM

Anybody out there some great input?

John Peterson April 29th, 2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Shealy (Post 1134858)
Anybody out there some great input?

It looks like interlacing artifacts to me.

Were you resizing?

What were your project properties and render setting?

This may be helpful:

Real time video scaling

Try a rough cut in m2t and then render using the cineform video for windows template. Keep the original full frame size. You can always re frame later.

John

Roger Shealy April 30th, 2009 04:59 PM

The project was 720-30P and I was rendering to 1080-30P intermediate HDV avi. For some reason Vegas doesn't have a 1080-30P project setting, but it does have 1080-24??

The Cineform for windows you mentioned, that doesn't seem to be a render option in Vegas 8. Is that a different piece of software?

Ike Tamigian April 30th, 2009 05:39 PM

Choose Custom for avi and in the Video window choose Cineform from the "Video format" dropdown list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Shealy (Post 1135674)
The project was 720-30P and I was rendering to 1080-30P intermediate HDV avi. For some reason Vegas doesn't have a 1080-30P project setting, but it does have 1080-24??

The Cineform for windows you mentioned, that doesn't seem to be a render option in Vegas 8. Is that a different piece of software?

John Peterson May 5th, 2009 08:03 AM

Roger,

Did you ever resolve this problem?

John

Roger Shealy May 5th, 2009 10:00 AM

I haven't rendered with your settings yet. I hope to give it a try tonight or Thursday. I may have another "out" by rendering to AVC and sending that to the other party, even if the avi fix doesn't work.

Thanks for your help and following up!

Ron Evans May 5th, 2009 01:47 PM

That actually looks like lost data. Does it happen every time in the same places? If it was coming from tape I would say it was a dropout. Are you using an external drive for this?

Ron Evans

Roger Shealy May 5th, 2009 02:30 PM

Ron,

It's not tape, items in the timeline as well as renders to wmv, avc, mpeg look great.

Ron Evans May 5th, 2009 04:33 PM

I realized its no tape but the image looks just like a tape dropout caused by loss of data. That's why I asked if it was going to an external drive that was not fast enough to record the data rate.

Ron Evans

Roger Shealy May 5th, 2009 06:31 PM

John,

The problem still continues. I get good renders in other formats, but HDV .avi, even with your instructions, yields yucko.