Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 31st, 2005, 08:01 PM   #211
Major Player

Thanks, you guys rule. Velocity envelope worked like a charm and was easy to implement. Doh! I should have thought of that myself...
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:48 AM   #212
Inner Circle

Price link for Vegas 6

http://www.cwol.com/software/sony-vegas-dvd-bundle.htm

I came across this and was wondering if this is actually the price. I didn't know if anyone has come accross this.
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:51 AM   #213
Sponsor: JET DV

Here's a similar page for comparison purposes:
http://www.videoguys.com/vegasvideo.html
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:57 AM   #214
Inner Circle

Yeah, 550.00 is about average I suppose, hehe, except this suspicious price I found.
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:43 AM   #215
Sponsor: JET DV

The domain is registered to T-F Electronics and I couldn't find either name in resellerratings. I have no clue as to how legit they are.
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:46 PM   #216
Major Player

Building Peaks is driving me NUTS!!

Well maybe not nuts, but it really bothers me!!
I am all set to edit some stuff, bring in the clips and then Vegas has to build the peaks for all the clips and it takes forever!!!
What is it doing? Does it need to do this?
Is there any way for it to build the peaks right after it captures the footage?
If I bring in 3 1 hour camera clips it can take at least 10 minutes for it to build the peaks!!
Am I doing something wrong or is there an easier way?

Thanks
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:59 PM   #217
Inner Circle

No Jeff, you're not nuts :-)
What Vegas is doing is creating the files for the audio waveforms (*.sfk) and it only does this the first time you load the file. Afterwards it's much faster.
It can be turned off (Options - Prefs - Draw waveforms and frames in events) but then you won't see the images or the audio file, just a blank white box. Personally, I'd rather put up with the wait.
And no, you can't do it right after capture.
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:19 PM   #218
Major Player

Jeff,

That brings up a good point about workflow that I've done for the last year or better and not really noticed why.

When I start a new project I usually have one or two large video/audio files that I edit down and then several (up to a few dozen) other resources like stills, lower thirds, overlays, etc.

I always open the largest files first in the Project Media tab so that it starts building the .sfk waveform. It will do this in the background while I search out the rest of the resources I think I will need and open them into the Project Media tab.
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:31 PM   #219
Regular Crew

>Is there any way for it to build the peaks right after it captures the footage?<

Yes, check 'add captured clips to Media Pool' in the Capture Complete dialog before you hit Done.

Gary
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:36 PM   #220
Regular Crew

I don't think so, however strange things can always happen. When you render is "render lopp region only" selected? Its a very small box in the lower left.
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:50 PM   #221
Major Player

Make sure that the upload to the site is completing. If you use a web interface for the transfer it won't be very accurate on the upload indicator. Use an FTP program for better results. I recommend WS FTP Pro.

Ben Lynn
Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:50 AM   #222
Regular Crew

Vegas 6.0b Crashes when opening a .veg

Hello, I am having a problem with Vegas 6.0b. When I attempt to load a particular .veg it starts loading and when it gets to 10-12 percent loaded Vegas shuts down my machine. It is a very weird shut down though. Its halfway between being in standby mode and shutdown. Both my monitors are switched off, my dvd-rom whirs a little bit like its trying to read a disk and then nothing. But my computer is still on. The standby light isn't flashing and when I press the button to return from standby nothing happens. This is the first time I have had this problem. I uninstalled Vegas then reinstalled it. Still the same problem. I recently installed Soundforge 8 and Acid 5. I dont know if this could be causing the problem. This .veg file has opened fine before. This project is using proxy media from Gearshift in place of the .m2t files. There is 1 Video Track and 2 Audio Tracks. The video track is the proxy NTSC 720/480 16:9. 1 audio track is pcm stereo and the other is mp3. I took about an hour of video and edited down to about 8 minutes. Because I couldn't open the file Itried to make another one exactly the same. When I was just about finished and was about to save for the last time Vegas did the wierd shutdown thing agian before I could save and now I can't open that second file either. I am using an NEC Laptop Pentium 4M 1.8GHz.1 gig of Ram. I already tried the sony forums and there was nothing to help me and I haven't seen anything like this on this forum either.If any one has any suggestions or advice it would be great. Thank you in advance.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 03:50 AM   #223
Old Boot

"Hello, I am having a problem with Vegas 6.0b. When I attempt to load a particular .veg it starts loading and when it gets to 10-12 percent loaded Vegas shuts down my machine."

Have you got stills in it a lot of stills?? Are they BIG jpgs?

Anyway, first off copy it to another directory/folder/drive and rename it within Windows - see if that helps.

Grazie
Old August 2nd, 2005, 08:30 AM   #224
Fred Retread

And Jeff, if those three 1 hour clips are from a mulitple cam shoot, the audio graphics can be extremely useful for synching the clips. Worth the wait in my book.

Thanks for that tip, Gary.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 09:17 AM   #225
Inner Circle

Good thing you aren't using Final Cut...
(It's so much slower in FCP.)
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...