Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 6th, 2005, 08:19 PM   #61
New Boot

Thank YOu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Go buy Scenalyzer Live. It will allow you to capture Video + Stereo 1 into an AVI file while simultaneously capturing Stereo 2 into a separate WAV file. Vegas capture won't capture stereo 2 (nor will most NLE's).
Thank you!! Now atleast I can stop wasting hours trying to figure it out on Vegas. !!!!
Lisa
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #62
New Boot

scenalyzer live- download only?

I want to purchase scenalyzer live as recommended here, but I can only find a download version online. I don't use my editing computer for internet access and I'm wondering if anyone knows if this downloaded is able to be saved to cd then uploaded on my editing pc, or if I could purchase the software in any stores? Thanks again
Lisa
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #63
Regular Crew

Hi,

As soon as I put a definite date on shipping, that puts the whammy on it :-0

Right now I think we're looking at about three more weeks.

Thanks,
Gary
Old July 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #64
Sponsor: JET DV

Just download, burn to CD, and carry it to your other computer. Itr's only 952k so you could even use a floppy,

I DO recommend saving the unlock key in a text file and saving that to the disc as well. Then you can simply copy/paste the key (it's fairly LONG).
Old July 7th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #65
Major Player

Image Sequencing Problem

This problem is driving me insane. Here is what I am trying to do: Using Vegas 5 and a script I export a video clip as an image sequence (approx 2900frames). I then batch render using photoshop. Now I want to import that image sequence back into Vegas and overlay it on the original video and audio...however a huge problem comes into the mix. I absolutely cannot seem to the two in sync.

In Options>>Preferences>>Editing if I set "new still image" to .033 then the still image sequence goes to fast for the video file. If I set it to .034 it is too slow for the video file. It should really be something more like 0.033367 but Vegas only allows three significan digits. Is there some other way to force the syncronization?
Old July 7th, 2005, 02:37 PM   #66

File - Open (or Import) - Pick the first image in the sequence - check the box that says "Image Sequence"
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:47 PM   #67
Regular Crew

Editing a .VOB file (legally)

I am trying to edit a video shot with a dvd camcorder. When I try to pull it into vegas, it says it is only 5 seconds long. The same happens when I play it in media player, but when it reaches 5 seconds the video keeps going for the entire length.

It appears that Vegas is reading the time and just repeating the same 5 seconds.

Please if anyone knows what is going on here and how to fix it, I would appreciate your help. Thanks
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:27 AM   #68

Use some other program to convert it back to AVI. What I often do is just hook up the DVD player through a convertor and just capture into standard DV-AVI while playing the DVD. If you want to do it totally via software, do a search on "VOB" or "RIP".
Old July 8th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #69
Major Player

How do I edit mixed formats in one project?

I'm not sure if that's the correct way to ask this question so here's the actualy quandry:

I've got 5 cameras that shot in standard 4:3 mode and one camera that was the stable wide shot that was set to 16:9. I'm wondering what the best way to tackle this in Vegas will be.

I'm assuming that I should make the project a 4:3 project but then how do I get the 16:9 into the project so that it's letterboxed rather than streched?

Also, would I be better off making the project 16:9 and streching or clipping the 4:3 clips?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:18 AM   #70
Major Player

Kevin

You can do it either way. If your 16:9 footage is the most abundent then open a 16:9 project and insert clips. Select each 4:3 clip in the timeline, select event/pan crop. Under "maintain aspect ratio" click no and under "stretch to fill frame" click yes. That should stretch your 4:3 to fit in the 16:9 project.

If you 4:3 is the majority open a 4:3 project and insert clips. Take a snapshot of a 16:9 clip from the preview window and open that snapshot in Photoshop. You are going to have to make an overlay by placing a black rectangle over the black that appears in the snapshot, both top and bottom. Delete the background image which should be your original clip. Import this overlay back into Vegas and place it over all the 4:3 clips streching as necessary. That should artifically letterbox your footage.

Confused, me too.

Jim
Old July 8th, 2005, 09:35 AM   #71
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Montgomery
If you 4:3 is the majority open a 4:3 project and insert clips. Take a snapshot of a 16:9 clip from the preview window and open that snapshot in Photoshop. You are going to have to make an overlay by placing a black rectangle over the black that appears in the snapshot, both top and bottom. Delete the background image which should be your original clip. Import this overlay back into Vegas and place it over all the 4:3 clips streching as necessary. That should artifically letterbox your footage.Jim
Wait... if I'm doing a 4:3 project then the 4:3 footage should be left alone shouldn't it? The only letterbox would be on the one 16:9 camera. Why would I letterbox 4:3 shots in a 4:3 project?

I am confused?!?!

-Kevin
Old July 8th, 2005, 11:10 AM   #72
Major Player

Because when mixing 4:3 and 16:9 in the same 4:3 timeline the 4:3 fills the entire space. The 16:9 fills the horizontal space but leaves you a black strip across the top and bottom. You need to add those black stripes to the 4:3 footage and your result will be a letterboxed 4:3 output.

If you want you can zoom in the 16:9 to fill the entire frame but there will be a loss of resolution.
Old July 8th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #73
New Boot

Use DVD2AVI application
Old July 8th, 2005, 01:51 PM   #74
Major Player

Wow thanks, that works better than I even thought it would. I can definately have some fun with this now.
Old July 8th, 2005, 03:48 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Is there an app that doesn't recompress to make the conversion?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...