Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q3Q4) - Page 34 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 27th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #496
Major Player

Thanks Brian, that's what I was looking for. Vegas does have "Multi-Band Dynamics" and I found the de-esser as an option. Works great.

Thanks to Mike and DJ too, I learned more. Since I got these BX8s and can hear better, I have all kinds of things to learn about audio.
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #497
New Boot

Same problem.

I've got this issue working with Sony Support. AMD 64 4800 dual core, etc, with the NEC 3250. There are no driver updates I could find. Neither V6, DVDA3, nor DVDA2 see the drive.

Meantime, I rip my CDs with WMP and burn my DVDs with Nero Recode (after authoring and "preparing" in DVDA3).

You'll find the odd post here and there about this drive and Vegas, no solutions I've found other than the workarounds.

Darryl
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #498
Regular Crew

Big difference from 4 to 6?

Is it worth me getting 6? ive learned 4 pretty good and is it alot different and worth upgrading?
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #499
Sponsor: JET DV

Read my April 2004 newsletter to see the difference between Vegas 4 and Vegas 5. Then read the April 2005 newsletter to see the difference between Vegas 5 and Vegas 6. That should give you the major differences from 4 to 6.
Old August 28th, 2005, 08:45 PM   #500
Trustee

As Edward said, read his newsletters. But if you're lazy and just want someone to tell you what to do - then yes, upgrade :). Not for 6, cause I think 6 is really a ripoff, but for 5.

Aaron
Old August 29th, 2005, 02:41 AM   #501
Major Player

Ah, but 6 has that totally new way of handling 24p pulldown conversion which looks really good, AND is capable of editing HD. So not so much of a ripoff if those things are in your future.......
Old August 29th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #502
Major Player

Yes, the feature that makes Vegas 6 a worthwhile upgrade for me at least is the frame rate conversion. Vegas 5 and earlier treat interlaced footage like every other non-linear editor: like 30 interlaced frames. Vegas 6 treats interlaced footage almost like 60 progressive frames. This makes a huge difference on frame rate conversions. 24p looks as clear as the 60i starting footage (which of course is still not as clear as native 24p). NTSC/PAL conversions look MUCH better now as well. PAL to NTSC is so good, I wish I had a had a PAL camera. I'd shoot PAL all the time and convert it to NTSC, and use the extra lines of resolution for rendering widescreen versions and deshaking.
Old August 29th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #503
Regular Crew

Well that is a real bummer. Please keep me up to date with what Sony has to say about this issue. (I have been logged on with administrator rights when seeing this issue)

Unfortunately I do not have Nero or any other burning software, so I can not burn a DVD. I know of some free CD ripping tools, are there any free DVD burning tools anyone could recommend?
Old August 29th, 2005, 07:27 PM   #504
New Boot

Nero 6.6 for US $79.99

http://ww2.nero.com/enu/index.html

Hard to beat, not free, but quite an ensamble. I only download and use the first 2 packages of the 4 bundles. Nero Recode will take your authored DVD Video_TS and drag the Audio_TS with it, then burn quite nicely. Let me see, if memory serves, click, click, click, click, burn. Darryl
Old August 29th, 2005, 08:10 PM   #505
New Boot

Compressing mpeg2

I need to compress an mpeg 2 file to fit onto 1 dvd. Can Vegas do this or do I need a separate software?
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #506
Regular Crew

Tricky PIP (for me)

Hello hello,

I've shot some basketball footage (2 cameras) and am trying to get a particurlar PIP effect. Both shots started full back (wide? haven't got the jargon down yet), while a player was at the free throw line. One camera zoomed in to catch half the amount of information. His reaction while the ball was in flight was very interesting (no, no, no...yes!), so I'd like to put that in the top right hand corner.

My problem is that the zoomed shot doesn't keep him in the centre of frame (and he moves some) - so I can keyframe to follow him, but this just gives me a track with a small picture that moves over various areas of the second track. Is there any way I can keep this in the top right of the second track?

I've been playing with this for awhile, but no luck - can anyone offer a suggestion?

Thanks,

Steve
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #507

Use Pan/Crop to zoom and pan and follow the player.

Use Track Motion to actually create the PIP.
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #508

Vegas can do it but you'll be much better off starting with the original (i.e. non-mpeg2) footage. However, it is quite possible for Vegas and/or DVD Architect to recompress an MPEG2 into a smaller MPEG2 file.
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:30 PM   #509
New Boot

How would I go about doing that? I tried setting the quality to about half but it keeps rendering to the same file size.
Old August 30th, 2005, 02:54 AM   #510
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward. It appears I'll have reposition many times in track motion, but it works perfectly.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...