Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 13th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #181
Regular Crew

Some answers

Hi Greg,

Some background on me and my setup:

[
I first learnt to edit with Premier 6 years ago. I then had a break and started looking end of last year for a new HD-orientated solution as was intent on buying the fab new Sony HDV-HC1 camera.

I now have the following:

1. Sony HDV-HC1 for aquisition
2. 2gig AMD Athlon Dual Core 4400+ for editing/games(!) and a 1gig Centrino dual core laptop while away from home. Both use an external Thecus RAID0 500Gb eSATA disk array so I have a fast portable medium for storage.
2a. A Dell 24" 1900x1200 monitor -good for viewing HD in all it's glory.
3. Vegas 6.0d (on PC and Laptop) + CineForm HDConnect (only on the PC)
4. DVD Architect
]

I can report that on both the PC and the laptop editing in HDV is doable but the pre-render window is choppy when applying filters or having mutliple tracks, this is better if you import with HDlink and convert the .m2ts to .avis and use those. The filesize increase is about 50%.

If you try out Cineform Connect full version and then do not accept the upgrade the removal process only removes HDLink -not the new slightly better codec (according to the Cineform website). However I have not tested this - just paid my $199. HDLink offers De-interlacing, I don't think this is adaptive or as good as -say- DVFilm offering but results look good 2 me. It also offers the XandY flip feature.

You could replace the larger files with smaller frame-compatible ones using VASST GearChange -changing back to do the final render but I have not explored this option.

The graphics horsepower is not used for processing. Render times can be long, especially when applying 'Magic Bullets' effects to track. I calculate upto 4 seconds per frame on the PC setup...

Output to DV is by DVD Architect. HD footage when rendered down to DV looks great and in a few years when prices come down you can blow a HD disk (or pay >£550 now and get a BlueRay writer!)

Nick.
Old July 13th, 2006, 06:51 AM   #182
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply, Nick. I'm going to get the full suite of Vegas after reading about the HDV aspect and ConnectHD.

Cheers
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:28 AM   #183
Sponsor: JET DV

What codec was used for the audio and is that codec available to VirtualDub?
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #184
Regular Crew

Vegas 7 & DVC PRO 50/HD

Are there any plans for Sony to incorporate DVC PRO 50/HD support in their next version of Vegas?

They say they'll XD Cam support (not surprising being there sony cameras) but I will be purchasing an HVX and want a straight and efficient workflow.
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:18 PM   #185
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Crockett
I will be purchasing an HVX and want a straight and efficient workflow.
Try this: http://www.canopus.com/products/EDIU...cast/index.php
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #186
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Crockett
Are there any plans for Sony to incorporate DVC PRO 50/HD support in their next version of Vegas?

They say they'll XD Cam support (not surprising being there sony cameras) but I will be purchasing an HVX and want a straight and efficient workflow.
That is the million-dollar (possibly literally) question. A recent press release said something about "enhanced HD editing capabilities" (or something like that), mentioning it distinctly from the XDCAM stuff, so maybe there's something there (which might be wishful thinking on my part). Still, if they wanted to wait to see how well the HVX would sell, they know now.

In any case, if they'd just include Op-Atom MXF support (which is used very widely outside Sony), you could download the DVCPRO codecs yourself and be able to use them. Currently, you can already do that, but you have to demux the MXFs externally.
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #187
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw
Canopus works.

But it ain't Vegas.
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #188
Regular Crew

Not able to play dvd rendered from Vegas

I am using DVD+R to burn a concert onto - one person I sent it stated they could not view the concert. Here are the steps I am taking in Vegas Movie Maker + Platinum.

1. Create the Project
2. Go to Make Movie
3. Render the footage
4. Import to Architech
5. Burn the DVD

Is there a "finalizing" step I am missing. P.S. The same dvd I sent my friend of the concert to preview worked on my "plays everything" dvd player. But I'm concerned when we mass produce these that not everybody will be able to play them. My friend suggested burning the program onto DVD - R....is this correct, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Dean
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #189
New Boot

actually alot of them are vbr, i get a message from virtual dub that there may be problems, but i think it happens for ones that arent vbr

anyway for virtual dub to work with vbr?
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #190
Inner Circle

He's right. Try the DVD-R. Not all DVD players are happy with all media. Some prefer +R, others -R. And some older players aren't very good at playing either.
Old July 13th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #191
Regular Crew

sections of timeline turn pink

when a section of a timeline turn pink in vegas movie maker + plat...what is happening here?? I have two sections that are pink and I can't get rid of it...
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #192

It's a sync indicator telling you it is out of sync with the corresponding audio.
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:43 PM   #193

You may need to convert the audio using some other program.
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #194
Regular Crew

how do you get it back into sync?? Do you move the audio back and forth until it no longer is pink??
Old July 14th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #195
Tourist

Separating L/R into indivdual audio tracks

I have recorded 2 different audio into my L and R audio inputs. Is there a way to get the LEFT or RIGHT audio channel into a new audio track panned center?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...