Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old July 12th, 2006, 07:06 AM   #166
Sponsor: JET DV

Take a look a Vol 3 #1 of my newsletters (ways to split screen).

Solid black and white will work fine. You probably either did not change the track composite mode to "Multiply (Mask)" or did not add the mask effect. Then one track will be a child to that track and another track will NOT be a child. These two track will show through those areas.

Track 1: Composite mode set to Multiply (Mask) and add a Sony Mask Generator Effect

Track 2: A child of track 1 - will show through the WHITE area

Track 3: Will show through the BLACK area
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #167
Regular Crew

Workflow Question: HDV capture and edit; DV output?

I'm currently trying to decide on which HDV software solution to get and I'm interested in keeping the projects in the HDV realm for acquisition, capture and editing with the final output being to DV for DVD content distribution. I understand that ConnectHD seems to be the defacto codec so I guess my question is just how easy and efficient is Vegas in handling this kind of workflow on a dual core AMD system with 2gig of ram?

EDIT: Does the Cineform codec work in the cheaper Vegas+Platinum offerings or is it only available for the higher end versions?

Also, does vegas make use of the latest graphics cards for rendering effects and title?

Thanks for all your help
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #168
Regular Crew

thanks Don....I got it to work. I also separated the audio track by placing it at the end of the timeline away from other video and audio tracks...this helped tremendously. Thanks for the advice!!
Old July 12th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #169
Jubal 28

Another way to duplicate anything is to CTRL+click on the event and drag a copy out.
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #170
Regular Crew

Archiving 24p m2t?

Hi. I can't seem to find an answer to this question via search. Most deal with converting to 24p SD, and not keeping it 1080i 24p.

I'm looking to archive a short film that I did in HDV (using the FX1) back onto HDV tape. I used Vegas to convert the film from 1080/60i to 24p in the project properties.

However, I'm not sure what setting I should use to print to HDV tape. When I use the automated feature of the Print to HDV tape, only a straight 60i option is allowed. I want to save the 24p version. So I was going to just print a separate m2t file and then print that to HDV tape -- but I don't know if I should do that with or without pulldown. The Sony FX1 has a pulldown when bringing in 24f footage into Vegas, so I'm not sure if I have to do it when printing back to the HDV tape.

So basically, I'm a little confused on the best way to archive the footage. I would experiment more, but my slow (2.6 ghz, 1 RAM) system takes a while to process the footage -- so if anyone already has a better workflow, I'd appreciate any advice. :)
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #171
Tourist

Upgrading from Vegas 4

Currently I am using Vegas 4 to edit my videos. It is rather old by this time in terms of computer software. Is it worth it to upgrade to Vegas 6? What were the selling features for you?
Old July 12th, 2006, 12:20 PM   #172
Sponsor: JET DV

There are many new and updated features. For a brief overview, you might take a look at Vol 2 #4 and Vol 3 #2 of my newsletters which give an overview of the new features of Vegas 5, Vegas 6, DVD A 2 and DVD A 3. I know Spot has some overview articles as well somewhere on the VASST website.
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #173
Major Player

I was surprised at your answer, John. Could you explain further ? Certainly, when recording digital video from Dish network on a DVD burner, there is no visible improvement when comparing the XP to SP to LP burn rates. I usually make a decision based on examination of freeze frames to evaluate detail. On that basis I would have guessed that the LP burn rate would have been as good as you would get for transfer of VHS.
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:23 PM   #174
Regular Crew

I don't think you can save the footage as 24p and then put print back to tape. That is for 1080i - I think. So what I have done thus far is to create the M2T file and save on disk and then print another to miniDV as a backup. In the future I can take the backup if needed and render to 24p SD for now until HD DVD or Blu Ray takes off in whatever direction things will go.

I would like to hear what others have done or are doing....

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #175
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Diamond
Hello everyone.

Is there any noticeable difference when you convert a hi-8 video to DVD in Standard Play mode instead of High Quality mode?

~Peter D.
I may be all wet on this, but my feeling about this is that you should stabalize what you got by digitizing to the highest quality capture you can on a computer drive, then clean up in an edit, if necessary, then render to your DVD. I would probably input the VHS through the AV input on a Digital Camera. With Hi8 or 8mm, I would actually capture and digitize with one of the Sony Digital 8 cams that will also play those formats.
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM   #176
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
Take a look a Vol 3 #1 of my newsletters (ways to split screen).

Solid black and white will work fine. You probably either did not change the track composite mode to "Multiply (Mask)" or did not add the mask effect. Then one track will be a child to that track and another track will NOT be a child. These two track will show through those areas.

Track 1: Composite mode set to Multiply (Mask) and add a Sony Mask Generator Effect

Track 2: A child of track 1 - will show through the WHITE area

Track 3: Will show through the BLACK area

I didnt add the "Sony Mask Generator Effect", I'll go try it now and see what happens! Thanks in advance!

BTW, I'm not actually using a triangle - I was just using that as an example. I have some fairly complex masks, psd and video masks...
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:42 PM   #177
New Boot

OK!!! I just tried out the mask generator on my workstation, and it worked exactly how I wanted it to! Thanks to Troxel!! And thanks to David too (now I know what you meant by putting a luminance on it)

Again, thank you
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:16 PM   #178
Regular Crew

Ultimate S and ReelPaks?

Hey everyone - two questions,

I'm become pretty prolific and comfortable with Vegas 6 over the last year but am still wanting my workflow to be faster. I've read here and there about how much Ultimate S can help do this...would anyone say this would be good upgrade for a Vegas editor already pretty much "set in his ways" with Vegas software? Worth the money and easy to pick up?

Also, I have used the Magic Bullet filters in the past and love some of them for their looks, hate them for their rendering speed (like everyone). Does anyone have a preference to which ReelPak is most useful (out of the 4 offered). I mostly would use them for wedding edits.

Thanks!
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #179
Regular Crew

Brandon,
Yes, US2 is a definite must have in your editors tool kit. It saves many hours of editing time using scripts to accomplish time consuming tasks and allows you to save presets so that you can repeat the tasks over and over again instantly. The GUI really organizes the many capabilities too so it's easy to go right to what you need to get done. As for the reel paks, all are very good and really save you time on the rendering side. If you haven't already, go to http://www.vasst.com/product.aspx?id...2-f703f5050400 and check it out. You can download and try the plug in for a couple weeks for free. There are lots of reviews at the bottom of the page also. Hope this helps.
Randy
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #180
New Boot

frameserving audio problem

Is it possible to framserv from virtualdub to vegas and still have the audio?

when i do it (with divx and xvid), the video works perfect but the audio track doesnt even load, (even though I'm ticking the audio box option in VFAPI?

anything i can do to fix this problem?

thanks in advance
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...