Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 14th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #511
Regular Crew

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. As Edward surmised, it turned out I had turned split screen on unbeknownst to me -- probably due to the fact that lately my mouse seems to have a mind of its own. Well, that's one way to learn about split screen. Again, thanks much!
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #512
Regular Crew

Anyone? Perhaps I posted this in the wrong section?
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #513
Major Player

Damn Edward and his spot on terminology, stealing my thunder :p J/K

Glad you got it resolved
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:42 AM   #514
Obstreperous Rex

Moved to Vegas forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old August 15th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #515
Sponsor: JET DV

No hardware acceleration cards work with Vegas. It really doesn't need them. As for multiple CPU's, yes it will use them.
Old August 15th, 2006, 08:24 AM   #516
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
No hardware acceleration cards work with Vegas. It really doesn't need them. As for multiple CPU's, yes it will use them.
Interesting. I have been using this software on my AMD box with a 3800+ X2 CPU. I noticed that only one core seems to get used most when previewing in the timeline. Perhaps both cores will be used more when actually rendering the video to final?

Also - too bad about no hardware video acceleration. I have two Nvidia cards connected in an SLI configuration, and it would have been nice to have harnessed some of that power, at least while previewing in the timeline.
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #517
Trustee

DVDA Playlists

Quote:
Q1: Yes, you need to render the whole thing again unless you use some other program that can cut MPEG2 without re-rendering.

Q2: Yes, you can "End Action" from the first one to the second one. There will be a slight delay as this happens and the length of the delay will vary from player to player.

Q3: It's "safe" but the quality won't be as good as it would be using the original files. Just try it and see if it looks fine to you.
You can also create a playlist in DVDA o that multiple media items are linked together. These are a bit of a pain in the butt to create chapter menus from, but it can still be done.

I just found the easiest is to spend lots of time proofing while viewing inside of Vegas adn then render the big file once. Of course that doesn't always work out, but it does save on render times and saves frustration working in DVDA.

jason
Old August 15th, 2006, 01:48 PM   #518
Trustee

Split Screen

Quote:
My guess would be that you turned on "split screen". It's the button just above the preview screen that's a circle that's half light and half dark.
That reminds me... what good is taht split screen feature? I haven't ever used it and I am not sure what good it is for? Any suggestions?

jason
Old August 15th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #519

It can be useful if you need to match colors in various sections, or you want to see how what you are doing affects the colors. It just happens you have yours set to bypass effects. There are many other options available if you click on the dropdown menu arrow. Look it up in the help file.
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #520
Regular Crew

Render AVI to Separate Clips

How can I render an AVI file to AVI file again but to split video file to 3 separate clips, all that on the fly. For example I edit in Vegas DV AVI file about 4 hours long, adding transitions, effects and music and then I want to render that AVI file to AVI again but I want to split it in 3 separate AVI files ( 1 hour and 20 min each)., then I render these three video clips with my favorite video encoder "Cine Cinema Encoder" to MPEG (to fit on 3 DVD disc for excellent results) but CCE has no option to separate video file during encoding, like TMPGEnc for instance, which is much, much slower option.I have try with marking regions in Vegas and then with scripting render the file, but all three AVI files were the same from begining to the end of the video clip.Some advice.
Regards.
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #521

Create regions on the timeline for each section and then use the rendering script (Tools - scripting - Batch Render)
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #522
Major Player

Mouse causes video stuttering

Odd one, for sure... an interrrupt (yes XP still uses them) conflict could cause this, but more likely mouse driver is reason. Run WINMSD look under problem components and poke about here, see if you have any clues.
Also Look at event viewer for clues too.

If you have mouse software (third party mouse) pull the driver off and install a newer one. Of course, XP has it's default driver. Actually a little harder to deal with.

Go to Hardware Device manager - Take note of the version. Next, remove the mouse and reboot. See if the issue goes away (XP will reinstall automatically on next reboot). If still an issue, see if it's the same version.

Heres where it gets fun... if you are not skilled on a pc, may want to have a geek help you... if still an issue, note the files on the driver properties (mouseclass.sys and i8042somethingOrOther.sys) Find them and RENAME them (don't delete them...) Reboot, windows should again reinstall the mouse, you have fun trying to use the pc w/o mouse... be prepared for this.
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #523
Major Player

Stop Motion (time lapse) using Vegas

Anyone have any idea how to do this in Vegas 6.0d? I used to use Scenealyzer and it was fantastic. I am bringing HDV now, so that's no longer an option. Can't do it in the camera either. Scenalyzer spoiled me, as I could do my sampling in post, so if I didn't likethe result, rewind, and do it again at different rate. I like being spoiled.

If vegas can't do this anything else out there that can?
Old August 16th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #524
Major Player

I don't think you're a geek? Just kidding, thanks very much for that helpful info!
Old August 16th, 2006, 08:34 PM   #525
Inner Circle

Can you:

-update to the latest version of vegas 6 first... one of the newer update improved HDV performance.
-Convert the HDV to an intermediate format like cineform
-apply the velocity envelopes
-turn off/on resampling as necessary (under clip properties). Gives you motion blur or no motion blur.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...