Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 42 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old August 31st, 2006, 06:04 AM   #616
Major Player

Specs

Okay I've bought a standard spec PC, P4 Dual 3ghz proc, 1gb ram etc.. What graphics card would you guys recommend. It has pci express ports. Assuming I am going to be running connect HD as well. So what do you guys reckon? What do you all have?
Old August 31st, 2006, 06:41 AM   #617
Rextilleon

It really doesn't matter---because Vegas is processor driven. I used a Matrox 550 card for years (bought it for under a hundred dollars) without problems. I would get a card that offers duel monitor support. I use a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 and it works fine.
Red #97
Old August 31st, 2006, 07:46 AM   #618
Inner Circle

I also recommend getting a graphics card with dual monitor support.

Having two or more monitors is a big improvement when using Vegas.
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:19 AM   #619
Regular Crew

Hmmm

Hey Greg,
I'm currently using Windows Media 10, but I think it was working ok with that before. I don't think I have added any software. I use the system for a dedicated sound/ video system. That is definately an interesting question however. Something must have changed, I just can't think of what.

Darrin
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:19 AM   #620
Major Player

Get the HIS X1600 with dual DVI. It's around $150. Then, you can use the ATI AVIVO Rendering Utility to speed up your renders to MPEG1/2, MPEG4, iPod, PSP, etc. considerably.
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:22 AM   #621
Major Player

If you can identify when the problems started, you might try a system restore to before that point. Could be one of the MS 'fixes' did something to you if you have been doing regular Windows Updates.
Old August 31st, 2006, 09:40 PM   #622
Regular Crew

Explorer Window in Vegas missing files...

When in Windows I can find the audio files I am looking for just fine. They should also be seen in the Explorer window within VEGAS. Others I have can be seen and added to the timeline.

These are newly added files to my computer - ripping off of CD, etc. They are wav and mp3. They play fine and I can add them by finding them in the windows interface and dragging them to the timeline.

Why are they not showing up within Vegas? It's as if the refresh is not working. I have rebooted my computer and of course Vegas. Anyone else have this problem? tks.

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Old August 31st, 2006, 09:55 PM   #623
Regular Crew

forget it....

I just answered my own question......

" I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here! ..."
Old September 1st, 2006, 04:06 AM   #624
Major Player

Thanks guys. I was thinking of getting the matrox avpe.
Old September 1st, 2006, 08:30 AM   #625
Regular Crew

Lip Sync Problem

Hello,

I got this DVD containing a conference from a client. They wanted me to translate and subtitle it. I did a rip with some freeware software to get the files into avi's with the DV codec. This seemed to work fine, There was a size limit, so I got 4 files, each one aprox. 4 gigs. I started putting subtitles using the text utility, They wanted subtitles burned in the image and not a track on a dvd. When I finished this and started reviewing the project there were a lot of lip sync problems so I separated the audio and video files and started moving the audio files at some poins to keep the sync. This was a really long process since the conference has a duration of 1 hour and a half. and it went out of synch aprox. every 2 minutes. So I saved the project, went home and the next morning I opened the project and it was out os synch again, so I workrd on it to correct it but the same happened as soon as I exited Vegas the project was out os sync when I opened it. So what I did was to perform a render of the full out os sync project and then I took this avi to premiere and corrected the issue there. It workes, but I'm really want to know if anyone has an idea of what happened. ¿Maybe the ripped files were loosing a frame?

Thanks for you attention.
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:21 AM   #626
Inner Circle

You might try ripping it with another application and see if you get the same results, some freeware stuff doesn't do well, some does.

I'd start there. If the second software does a better job, then you have your culprit.
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:03 PM   #627
Sponsor: JET DV

I know many people reject this method but I've never had a sync issue using it:

Hook up the DVD player to your camera/deck/convertor via analog
Connect the camera/deck/convertor to the computer via firewire
Press capture on the computer
Press Play on the DVD player

Capture to a DV-AVI file and edit with that. DV-AVI is much easier to edit with and I'll bet your sync issue will be gone. Yes, you've gone through an analog to digital conversion - I understand that. You're also starting with MPEG2 footage as well and trying to go back to MPEG2 so there's loss no matter what you do.
Old September 2nd, 2006, 02:14 PM   #628
Regular Crew

Darrin,

I have a problem with Windows Media Player on a couple of machines (out of 6). Most times when I quit using the player, (as in exit out) it stays active but unseen.

When this happens, Vegas will give me the "player already in use" error.

If I pull up the Windows Task Manager (CRTL+ALT+DEL), go to "Processes" and sort on "Image Name", I find "wmplayer.exe" still shows up. I select it and click on "End Process" in the lower right corner.

After I do this, I no longer get the error in Vegas, unless I run the media player again, in which case, I have to repeat the process.

This may not be your problem, but it is worth a check, just to see.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:48 AM   #629
Regular Crew

Doing a Full Concert DVD

I am doing a concert DVD for distribution that needs replication at a facility, would you set your dvda to burn the master files to a disc? Or use DVDA to give them a dvd-r of great quality to replicate?

www.capturemotiondvd.com
Old September 3rd, 2006, 08:00 AM   #630
Major Player

The duplication facility you are working with should be able to answer this question fully.

For one firm's reccomendation see: http://www.discmakers.com/film/prepa.../preparing.asp
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...