Vegas Video discussions from 2006 (Q3Q4) - Page 71 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old October 11th, 2006, 09:24 PM   #1051
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

you have 25fps PAL ..
you want to end up 25fps PAL ?
to get rid of interlace why not render out as 25fps PAL and render it as PROGRESSIVE ? ( make sure you change deinterlace method to blend)

IMO taking 25fps ..changing it to 30fps and then back down to 25fps = interlace mess
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #1052
Jubal 28

Yeah -- for the most part, unless you're looking at the window bar, you wouldn't be able to tell which version you're in.
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #1053
Regular Crew

Can I connect my camera to Vegas while shooting?

Is it possible to output from my video camera into a laptop with Vegas 6 via firewire in order to look at the incoming video on the video scopes in the software so that I can get all my levels correct? I looked on the laptop and it has a 4-pin firewire port.
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #1054
Major Player

You can input from the camera in the vidcap app, but as far as I know there's no way to do so within Vegas itself and thus use the video scopes while shooting.

That said, I don't do HDV, so I'm not sure how the internal HDV capture works. I'll leave it up to someone else to comment on that.
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #1055

You cannot view live scopes in Vegas during capture.
This is where a tool like DVRack HD come in very handy. It allows live scopes during capture.
It's not an issue of whether you have 4 or 6 pin ports, it's a matter of whether you have an application that allows for live input. Vegas allows for live input, but the scopes cannot be active. the scopes in Vegas are a post-only tool.
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #1056
Regular Crew

Oh I see.. So what would one use the live input for? Just audio recording?
Old October 12th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #1057
Major Player

Spot--

Please do expand on this live input idea if you're talking about camera input directly into Vegas and not into the quasi-separate vidcap application. I can think of a few situations in which that would be pretty handy, but I'm not so sure the capability is there. I'd love to be proven wrong though. :)
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:24 PM   #1058
Inner Circle

(I'm not spot...)

To bring video into Vegas "live"... is just like a DV or HDV capture without machine control, be sure to turn off machine control in the capture prefs.

DV - the external capture app, HDV - the internal, just as always.

I'd guess that this isn't really what SF/Sony had in mind, but it works because firewire is firewire, and without machine control on, V doesn't know the difference between a live stream and a stream from tape.

All things considered, it IS a hard-drive recorder... but offers no features for live cap other than the basic capture.

Yes, Vegas will also do stereo or multitrack audio recording live - this IS an app V. was designed for, as it started out life as an audio editor. Recordings take place inside the main Vegas interface, in audio tracks on the timeline.

Basically, any internal or external sound card/interface that works in Windows will work in Vegas, you go into prefs (in Vegas, not Capture) to select the audio device(s) for recording & playback. This works very well.

There are a few flavors of audio drivers that have their pros & cons, and several professional cards/interfaces allow access with more than one kind of driver... (going off topic...)
Old October 12th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #1059

Seth answered it pretty much as I would.
We used Vegas as a live video capture app for a couple years until Serious Magic came along with DVRack, and later DVRackHD.

As far as live audio...heck, I've recorded 26 tracks live with Vegas on more than one occasion, and regularly capture 8-16 tracks of input live.
http://www.vasst.com
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #1060
Inner Circle

WMV and Vegas 7

I'm editing a project using WMV fies encoded by Windows Media Encoder (Don't worry, the destination's Youtube so quality doesn't matter). In Vegas 6 I was able to edit and render out all of the WMV files without a problem but in Vegas 7, All non-AV (only a stream of video with no audio stream) files have a 24P-30P like jitter and all AV files (video and audio stream together) don't. This is very weird...

I hope there's a fix to this soon in 7.0c.
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #1061
Inner Circle

Jack, I'm not in a position at this moment to do even any quick testing, but if memory serves, WMV Video Only clips will sometimes have issues on playback in WMPlayer.

The fact that you've been successful in Vegas6 doing vid-only may be a fluke of Vegas 6. I'm not defending V7 or anything...

But... best practice for WM is to include at least a low-bitrate silent audio track with your video-only clips.
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #1062
Major Player

Vegas 7.b instalation problem

Hello

I downloaded Vegas 7.b and when I try to instal in Athlon 2.0 / 1GB RAM system the instalation always stops with
"Extracting Files: mediamgr\msde\Setup\SqlRun.cab" file
and apears the following message:
Error: CRC mismatch – aborting the installation

Note that I have instaled Vegs 4 and 5 with no problem.

Any idea what`s going on?

Thank you
Ron
Old October 13th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #1063
Sponsor: JET DV

You have a bad download. Download it again.
Old October 13th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #1064
Major Player

Thank you Edward
I should tell you that there was a Vegas 7.a download one day before and this Athlon system rejected the file the same way it rejected today, but unexpectedly a second computer (with a Pentium system) had no problem to install the Vegas 7.a file. Go figure...

Ron
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #1065
Regular Crew

Preview on 16:9 help

Ok, this may be in the wrong section but sure yall can answer this. Most video that I have shot has been done in 4:3 and I preview it on 4:3. However with such new plasmas,dlp,lcd, etc all being 16:9 I have a question.

I have a shoot coming up and it will be shot in 16:9. I have never shot in 16:9 as it was never needed. Now that I am doing that do I need to get a small 16:9 screen to preview it? I know that I can use the safe area in vegas but that is not full proof.

If I do need a 16:9 can I still do my previews for the 4:3 on it? Also who has some small cheap 16:9 tv's.

Jason
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...