Editing Help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 17th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing Help

How do I replace a secton of the video track with a new video but leave the original audio track unchanged?

Thanks for helping a newb.

Norm
Norm Rehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Norm

Drop the new video onto the end of the current track and click the ungroup icon and simply delete the audio from the new video clip. Click the group icon again to keep the original video and audio intact and then insert the new video wherever you need to on a new video track and it will over-ride the current video but leave the audio.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle

you can also just hit U to ungroup audio from video.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

OR take the new video clip on a track (the audio will drop in automatically under it.) Highlight the audio you wish to delete (double click on it and it will highlight) hit the DELETE button. Now go to the video clip you wish to delete. If it's the same amount of time as the new clip simply highlight it and press DELETE, place the new clip in the space, highlight both audio and video hit the G button to group them and you're done. If you are trying to place a new clip into a clip that is longer then the new clip you need to highlight the old clip by dragging the cursor over the old clip where you want to replace the video, the same length of time as the replacement clip. Hit the S button to split the clip then make sure that old clip is highlighted and hit DELETE. Grab the new clip put it in place and you're done.

Sounds harder than it really is.
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:47 AM   #5
Trustee

Try RIGHT click and drag from the media bin into the timeline, when you release the right mouse button you get offered a few options, one of which is "add video only".

Paul.
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Norm,
As you can see there are numerous ways to do things is Vegas :-) anyone of which will work. Just find the way that works best for you. Have fun, Vegas is a great program.
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Wow! Thanks for all the reponse. You guys are the greatest!

Norm
Norm Rehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Try RIGHT click and drag from the media bin into the timeline, when you release the right mouse button you get offered a few options, one of which is "add video only".

Paul.
I like this one! Thanks!
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #9
Trustee

I also right click and drag events along the timeline which also gives options when the mouse button is released, the best bit though is when ripple is on i can drag a clip and only that clip moves, not the whole timeline, like a temporary disable of ripple.

Paul.
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #10
Trustee

Nice one Paul, hadn't discovered that yet.

As for Norm's question I like to use the trimmer... load up the clip, select the In and Out points, shift+Q to highlight the selected section, then hit tab to select just the video. Put the cursor to where you want it to go on the timeline and hit A. Then fine tune it on the timeline.
John Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...