Recovering captured files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 17th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Recovering captured files

In Veg.8 I captured a full 1Hr. Tape successfully & then went to capture another but in the little capture window it still showed the previous one. As I did not want to capture the first one again I simply deleted it but to my horror it apparently completely deleted it from the whole project !!

I cannot find or recover it anywhere. I thought the undo might have simply brought it back but not so, and I can't seem to find it anywhere in the capture bins. This seems to be a most confusing setup in the advanced capture window if this simple error is possible. Surely, there should be a warning message with it, if thinks you want to completely remove it from the project. - NOT IMPRESSED.

It looks as if I now have to set it all up & capture the whole lot again.

Any thoughts ?

Ron C.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Delete means it went to tape heaven. That little black hole that even keeps one sock when we know we put 2 in the washer. Sorry but once it's gone, it's gone and yeas, we've all done at one time or another.
Old October 17th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don, but I still feel this is a bit too quirky.

Also I have now found that it is not easy to find where Vegas puts the captured files. I have now found this, but why do they make it so damn difficult. Other programs use a windows type file structure that is easy to see in preferences or whatever, but I had to go searching in the capture window "Options/Preferences/Disc management" and even then it wasn't very intuitive. Whats this "Add folder" garbage, when every where else you simply have a "Browse" button !

This thing must have been written by government officials !

Obviously I'm not in a good mood (Actually nearly tearing my hair out as you will see in my next post !), - now after spending nearly two days just to capture 4 tapes & still one to go. How you guys ever make any money in this business beats me.

Ron C.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 04:08 AM   #4
Old Boot

If you are looking for where Video Capture has placed your captured media, from within Video Capture, add the "Folder Column" to the details view of "Clip Explorer". There is no need to go to Preferences to remind you of where the clips were stored. Also, while you are adding and customizing your Clip Explorer view, to the way you want it to work for you, do look at the other columns you can add. Very useful!

As to using VidCap, it was one of the many features I discovered in Vegas that swayed me to carry on using Vegas as my preferred NLE for my own business. It just works.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I agree with Grazie. Vegas capture is actually very easy to manage. Just ADD the folder where you want the vid to capture to and you're golden. Pretty much a 1 step process.
DOn't worry if the last tape captured still shows in the preview window once you start to capture the new tape that shows up instead.

I actually use Scenealayzer to capture but only because I can put a lot more information in the capture besides name and tape number but regardless the same thing happens during a continuous capture. The last image captured shows in the preview window until I start to capture the next tape.
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
I agree with Grazie. Vegas capture is actually very easy to manage. Just ADD the folder where you want the vid to capture to and you're golden.
Well, Don, yes. However I was attempting to refer to the way you can easily identify within the "Clip Browser" window - it is there you can add the Folder Column to view AFTER capture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
The last image captured shows in the preview window until I start to capture the next tape.
Well, in Clip Explorer you can elect to have first, middle, last frame as showing. You can also do a Boolean-type search with the "Search Clip Database" option. As to details you are wanting to reveal there are many. From "Folder" to "Comment" to " Frame Rate" etc etc . . .

Over the past few years I have elected to rather use Media Manager. I find it far easier and fits in nicely with my creativity urges.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:50 PM   #7
Inner Circle

see learn something every day. Since I don't use version8 I'm going by v6 and since I haven't used Vegas to capture with in a looooong time somethings have slipped my retention bank. (actually it's called senior moments-or senior days maybe?)
Anyway thanks for getting me back into the 21st century. :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...