Render to QuickTime at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 28th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Render to QuickTime

My client wants .mov files so for the first time that I can think of I am exploring (and having trouble with) the QuickTime render dialogue.

The source project is PAL DV widescreen but try as I might I cannot get the rendered file to be widescreen.

I have tried all sorts of combinations of things, mainly to do with aspect ratio and frame size but I can't seem to get it right.

Any help appreciated! Thanks.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm not in PAL-land, but the general fix for this sort of problem is to get to a 1.0 pixel aspect ratio (PAR), then adjust your picture dimensions to create wide screen.

OK, let's do the math:
The PAL wide template is 720x576 with a 1.4568 PAR.
Multiply 720 by 1.4568 = 1048 (rounded). 1048x576 at 1.0 PAR would be one choice.

A true 16:9 that's 576 tall will be 1024 wide. So, that's 1024x576 at 1.0 PAR.

Obviously, you're upscaling horizontal resolution on these renders, so, be sure to select "best" render quality.

Is widescreen PAL exactly 16:9? See what looks right in some test renders, 1048x576 or 1024x576.

I don't know why PAR flagging is so inconsistent - this isn't only a problem with QT, it crops up other places too.
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

As an aside, I am not particularly impressed with QuickTime other than in higher resolutions. Does it remain a popular format?
Old October 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

That did it, thanks Seth. I'm a bit annoyed with myself because I have solved this problem before when working with other formats. I think my brain must have got a bit fried! Lots going on at the moment!

Thanks again for the help.

Ian . . .
Old October 28th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Ian, I'm very glad you got it working.

QT on the PC is not so popular, however, it is a leading solution for cross-platform digital intermediate files. Forum contributor Perrone Ford has written at length about the Avid DNxHD codec in QT, which if I recall, allows him to move his work through Vegas, AE, and AVID across Mac and PC. Not super fast on the PC, preview rates suffer, but it works, and it supports alpha channel.

Which is a pet peeve of mine - way too few codecs support alpha channel!

Of course on the Mac, QT is *the* container format, even moreso than AVI on the PC. Many codecs work within it, and FCP users rarely branch out from the QT container until encoding for delivery.
Old October 28th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yea Seth,

Honestly, if it wasn't for Virtualdub, I wouldn't use AVI any more at all. About the only thing I use it for is to make Lagarith encoded AVI files to move from Vegas to VirtualDub and back. And it's the only (free) decent editing AVI available in the 64 bit version of Vegas.

Quicktime on the other hand gives me access to ProRes, DNxHD, Jpeg2k, the AJA/Blackmagic codecs, etc. All the best stuff is there.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...